View Single Post
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
UK prices must be different because in the US a 5-license family pack of OS X is about double the price of an OEM copy of XP Home. I paid around $100USD for XP Home when it came out and I haven't paid anything since then. I only bought it because I wanted it right when it came out and I would have had to wait a couple months before my university's bookstore started selling the $5 student version. Apple's cost for a student version of OS X is $70.

I do like the idea of Apple's family pack though, but it doesn't help me at all being a single user.
Yeah, the family pack is a good deal. Apple seems to price their OS for the home user, while MS seems aimed at a business model. You can get various deals from MS but you have to shop around. I don't know anything about UK pricing but I'd be a bit startled if you can't find better prices than that.

If you are a consultant or some such and are looking for a good deal in MS software, they have a deal called the "action pack" where you get multiple licences for much of their software (including 10 for XP pro and 10 for Office 2003, in addition to many of their server offerings) for $300 (199 GBP), which includes quarterly updates ($200 to continue with it after the first year).

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/...ng/actionpack/