View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"Best" is an awfully subjective term, but in this case there's an easy answer: Apple Lossless is the "best" format, since as the name implies there is ZERO loss of fidelity from the original CD.

However, the files produced using ALC are 10x or so larger than using compressed formats like AAC and MP3, dramatically reducing the number of song files you can put on the iPod.

I like to think I have a pretty good ear for music (at least for someone my age), and honestly I can't hear any difference between 256kbps (or higher) AAC and Apple Lossless. For whatever infinitesimally small bit of fidelity I've lost, I gain 10x storage capacity (and more flexible media options), that's a trade I'm willing to make.
QUOTE Thanks