View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Equals Two View Post
Can I modify an older computer (i.e) Black Macbook to run much faster?
No.

There are some Mac models (mostly older ones) that can be modded. This is not one of them.

Quote:
When something like a motherboard fails, what usually goes wrong?
There are so many potential answers to this I don't know where to start. Only on some specific models could I tell you what IME went wrong. Logic boards have (literally) tens of thousands of small parts, any one of which can fail. Yes, it's often something easy like a capacitor, but often its not.

Moreover, Apple's boards are all proprietary designs so getting bits for them is often a real challenge.

Quote:
Now, on a car, usually one part fails, but the rest of the car is fine, so I end up replacing the bad parts and the car works again. Does the same apply here?
Broadly speaking, yes ... but the equipment allowing you to identify the problem part (if its not obvious) is extremely expensive.

Modding is a great hobby (you'll find plenty of examples via the URLs others have posted) and getting good at repairing Macs could lead to a lucrative new career (the world could always use a new Mac tech!!) so I don't want to discourage you, but there are definitely limitations compared to the PC "wild west" where anything goes and everything's swappable.
QUOTE Thanks