. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB? It all depends" /> Mac Forums - View Single Post - switcher ineed to help!!!
View Single Post
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

1. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB?

It all depends on what applications were installed with the restore. OS X alone can take up to 3 GB, so with all of the default apps installed on top os OS X it is not unheard of to take 6 GB.

2. How do I uninstall programs from OS X. Namely the apple encylopeda?

Simply drag the app to the Trash.

3. When I tried installing ethereal using fink or opendarwin ports I got errors compiling GTk because XFree86 couldn't overwite apple's X11 folder. When I tried installing ethereal using the source and using apple's X11 I got an error when running ethereal. I want to make my iBook a vulnerability testing machine but I am having a really hard time trying to get any of these security tools working. Please help.

I am really not up on my *nix, so I can't really help you there

4. I am using the inbuilt 256MB RAM for the iBook. I don't use any memory intensive applications yet my virtual memory is 3.4Gb in size almost always and when compiling programs it takes awfully long. What would be a decent amount of RAM to add 256Mb? or 512Mb? Could somebody please tell me the technical specs of the RAM and where I could get good deals?

512 MB should be fine. That is all I have in my Macs and they run smoothly. Your iBook wil take PC 2100 DDR RAM. You can usually find good deals at NewEgg or Crucial

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks