1DsMII or 5D

Reaction score
I am taking the plunge into the full frame 35mm DSLR market. I had my mind set on going with the 5D for about the past 3 months and the time has come to put down the cash and upgrade. However, I checked a local listing today and found a 1Ds mark II for a little cheaper than the 5D new (no kit lens).

I have shot with a 1D mark III and the feeling of the body alone is enough to make me want it. My question to all of you. What reasons would make me not want the 1Ds over the 5D? im not talking about value for money. I want technical reasons. image quality, noise levels, all that jazz. i have about 3 days to make my choice before the offer on the 1Ds falls through.

Primary shooting style: Photojournalism, Portraits, Weddings, Fashion, (getting into still life)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
You may get more responses at photography-on-the.net, as you're unlikely to find too many folks here that have owned/used both cameras.

I've used a friend's 1Ds Mk II, and own the 5D. One advantage that I found with the Mk II during a limited time of shooting was the ability to shoot vertically without having to crane my right arm (of course, you can always get the optional grip for the 5D). That may be important to you if you're going to do lot's of portraits and fashions. The only other advantage that I can think of is the superior durability and weather sealing that comes with the 1Ds.

From an IQ standpoint, the 5D loses nothing to the Mk II. The 5D is also smaller and lighter, which to me is more important than the advantages noted above.

There are plenty of on-line reviews and comparisons of the 1Ds to the 5D, so you should do a Google search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am actually waiting for the 5D update which is more than due out. I shoot mainly sports though, so the 3fps was way to slow for me.

I personally, if I had your exact choice and could not wait, would go with the 1Ds MkII. Simply because it is a 1D series body, and that alone is worth it. The weather sealing and overall durability would be worth it to me.

You could also ask at The Photo Forum, there are a lot of pros on there too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I am actually waiting for the 5D update which is more than due out. I shoot mainly sports though, so the 3fps was way to slow for me.

I agree with the slow frame rate. I also do quite a bit of sports photography, and bought the 40D as my primary action camera. I've been very pleased with the IQ from the 40D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That is also what I shoot with. Excellent camera!

OP: As I am sure you know though, remember that lenses are just as important, if not more important, than the camera body. With a 1 series I hope you have or plan to invest in lots of "L" glass! I got "L" addicted some time ago and with a pro body would not dream of anything else.

OP
DavyJon3s
Reaction score
OP: As I am sure you know though, remember that lenses are just as important, if not more important, than the camera body. With a 1 series I hope you have or plan to invest in lots of "L" glass! I got "L" addicted some time ago and with a pro body would not dream of anything else.

I already have a outlined list of L series lenses im picking up. Im buying my friends 24-70 2.8 L. All my friends shoot canon with quite a few L glass between them so i can test things out before i buy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Good stuff! Just making sure. :)

You can rent glass too just so you know. There are a few companies out there, nice way to try out lenses or if you need a specific one just for one shoot.

Reaction score
I own both cameras, the 1ds is my main camera for fashion/advertising photography, most my clients would not accept the image quality of the 5d, their are many other reasons to go for the 1ds all long and boring (moire etc), you can listen to some of these guys but trust me I use them both regularly and if it is image quality you want then 1DS all the way.

Reaction score
I own and shoot with a 5D and 1D2, but also use a 1DS2 on a regular basis. While I have never had problems with art directors and news editors with the images from the 5D, if you can get a 1DS2 for less money then a 5D then there actually no reasons to get the 5D.

OP
DavyJon3s
Reaction score
thanx everyone, the deed is done. I will post some images in the next few days once she gets shipped here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.