PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or XBOX

03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
ok, so i need a next gen console for GTA coming out and i totally dont know which one to get.

ive tried looking at reviews and comparrasons bit am still none the wiser

which do you have?
which would you get?
WHICH IS BETTER???

help?

eric
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
i just got a ps3 a few weeks ago. the base 40Gb model and i'm completely thrilled with it.

i really can't compare it against the xbox. i'd say the ps3 will have slightly longer legs hardware cycle wise, and has the built in blu ray player going for it.
really it comes down to the games. i held out for a ps3 mainly for gran turismo 5 and the ratchet and clank series (two that will not be going to the microsoft camp any time in the forseeable future).

if there are more games you're likely to buy on one or the other go in that direction.

Audio.Trench
03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I never was a fan of the Playstation, so I'm biased towards the Xbox 360.

bryphotoguy
03-08-2008, 11:47 AM
PS3. It's more of a next gen. gaming experience than the 360. I've owned both and sold my 360 a month after i got it.
As eric said, there's the built-in Blu-ray drive. Microsoft said they would go Blu-ray if it won so it's a matter of time i guess for them as well.

lifeafter2am
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
For me it was about the games. Until the new Final Fantasy comes out (or any good RPG's) I am holding out on the PS3. I wanted to play Mass Effect and Gears of War, so I got the Xbox. I know I will end up with both, just because of the exclusive games, but for now the Xbox has my vote. Doesn't mean that can't change in the next 3-6 months.

Audio.Trench
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
See, that's why I love my x360.. It's the games that are for it.. I love the controller too.. It's the perfect controller IMO, and it's what the Xbox controller should have been all these years.

Not to mention Xbox Live. That makes up for over half of your gaming experience on the x360 console as well. Regardless if it's $60 for 13 months of service, it's totally worth it.

eric
03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
See, that's why I love my [PS3].. It's the games that are for it.. I love the controller too.. It's the perfect controller IMO, and it's what the [Playstation] controller [has] been all these years.

Not to mention [PSN]. That makes up for over half of your gaming experience on the [PS3] console as well. [Especially since it's free], it's totally worth it.

all a matter of opinion my friend... :D

lifeafter2am
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree Eric, just depends on what games you want to play and who has them. Like I said, I know I will end up with both eventually, but right now there is nothing I want to play on the PS3.

eric
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
nothing to play? ;P

heh, i'm just trying to decide where to spend my money first (or next anyway)! of course some of those are cross paltform, my first was not - ratchet and clank, which is really very, very good.

kman445
03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
All about the 360 Playstation is lame imo.

but yea. who likes long load times

PartTimeFRM
03-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I chose an XBox 360 for the games. If your more into movies than games, than go with the PS3, the PS3 is catching up on the latest games. For movies, the blue-ray will come out with version 2.0 release later this year and the PS3 will be able to download it and upgrade. After 2.0, I've read where the PS3 may not be able to keep up with the upgrades. Understand that blue-ray or is it blu-rey (excuse me - brain fart) is still in an infant stage compared to HD, but the big money studios won over the users. Just the opposite of the Beta and VHS war.
To sum up, if your into playing games, for the next year or so, go XBox 360. If your a part time gamer and are into the newest movies and if you have a HD TV with HDMI, than go with the PS3.
Also, HDMI is the way to go with XBox 360, so make sure you buy the Pro XBox 360.

eric
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
All about the 360 Playstation is lame imo.

what's a "360 playstation"?

punctuation is your friend. ;P

:D

Mattlike
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii. My 360 gets the most played and the PS3 has the most dust on it. :( From a pure game standpoint (as far as what is currently out there) i'd get a 360. I am personally a big fan of RPGs and there is only 1 RPG out for the PS3 right now which is terrible!

kman445
03-08-2008, 12:58 PM
what's a "360 playstation"?

punctuation is your friend. ;P

:D

i r failed english :(

lifeafter2am
03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I have a XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii. My 360 gets the most played and the PS3 has the most dust on it. :( From a pure game standpoint (as far as what is currently out there) i'd get a 360. I am prsonally a big fan of RPGs and there is only 1 RPG out for the PS3 right now which is terrible!

Agreed! It disappoints me really. I mean, my old PS2 got a ton of play with great games! Star Ocean, FF, Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, the list could go on and on. Just seems like Sony has dropped the ball big time with this one here. Which, looking at their current "restructuring" and the big losses of the gaming division, is what happened.

eric
03-08-2008, 01:34 PM
speaking of rpgs - i really hope they come out with a new dark cloud for the ps3 - i loved those games.

nirvana
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
PS3 for me. Has all the things I need built in and I liked the fact it had a blu-ray drive ready for the future. I've brought every Playstation since I got one for Christmas in 96. The 360 is a great console no doubt but i chose the PS3 didn't like the thought of ploughing money to Microsoft.

Audio.Trench
03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
The only games that interest me/look good for PS3, in my opinion, are Resistance Fall of Man, and Killzone 2 (when it gets released).

lifeafter2am
03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
PS3 for me. Has all the things I need built in and I liked the fact it had a blu-ray drive ready for the future. I've brought every Playstation since I got one for Christmas in 96. The 360 is a great console no doubt but i chose the PS3 didn't like the thought of ploughing money to Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Microsoft hater to the core. Before my Mac I used Linux exclusively. But for once in their miserable existence they acutally made something good! They should just drop out of the PC market and just make consoles! :D ;D

Audio.Trench
03-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am a Microsoft hater to the core. Before my Mac I used Linux exclusively. But for once in their miserable existence they acutally made something good! They should just drop out of the PC market and just make consoles! :D ;D

I couldn't agree more! I don't care at all for MS stuff, but the Xbox was the only thing I didn't regret giving money to MS for.

RampHog
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
My vote goes for 360.

I basically went with a 360 for the games.Xbox has the game selection right now but that could change this year will PS3 trying to step it up and getting into the game. I am not a FF fan and RPG's really arent my style so one could see why I tend to lean towards the 360. I love shooters and the 360 fits me just fine!

As far a new console for the GTA thats coming out they have said that the episodic content will only be for the 360 and not for PS3. Thats something to think about. Theres no doubt that the new GTA will look better on the PS3 but I think the difference wont be "night and day". Draw distances will surely be better on the PS3 version.

As far as blue ray goes, its not a big deal for me to drop a couple hundred on a blue ray player in the near future when the time comes.

Also the new 360's run sooooo much cooler than the older ones, I gave my old 360 to my bro and picked up a newer one and it definitly runs alot cooler!

You really can't fo wrong with either one, if Blueray is important and your down with Metal gear and Final Fantasy then by all means get a PS3!

eric
03-08-2008, 02:53 PM
ahem... don't forget down with gran turismo. that's a biggie.

lifeafter2am
03-08-2008, 02:57 PM
ahem... don't forget down with gran turismo. that's a biggie.

Wow how I ever hated that game! lol. People always raved about it, but I hated it so much!! If I want a real racing experience, I will go down the street to the Richard Petty Driving school.. ;D

Eric, I love that avatar!!!

CL33Zero
03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I dont think ether are "better." But I got a 360 because if I got a PS3 I would have NOONE to play with that I know. I like the games on the 360, they are fun, and action packed. Plus I know about 20 people on my friends list, where as if I got a PS3 I would know 2. So thats what it came down to for me, games, and community. And just FYI. Idk about all the PS3 games looking better than the 360 games thing. They are both very capable, and have you guys seen Gears of War????? Holy cow, nothing has come close that I have seen.

eric
03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Eric, I love that avatar!!!

thanks. :)

for me gran turismo is the driving game. not racing mind you, due to the dim AI and shallow field of cars, but for driving... oh, yes.

and hey, will the King's school let you fully mod a daihatsu midget and tune it in a misguided quest to find it's top speed on a course like the ginormous test track? ;P

mynameis
03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I have both. If I had to pick one then it would be the 360, just because I like the game selection better and the graphics look about the same. A lot of good 360 games can be found cheap.

Audio.Trench
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
thanks. :)

for me gran turismo is the driving game. not racing mind you, due to the dim AI and shallow field of cars, but for driving... oh, yes.

and hey, will the King's school let you fully mod a daihatsu midget and tune it in a misguided quest to find it's top speed on a course like the ginormous test track? ;P

I personally feel Forza blows it out of the water.

eric
03-08-2008, 05:22 PM
forza2 on the 360? of course. the look, the speed, has to be much better.

even the old one on the xbox looked a bit better in some ways than gt4, seemed from the videos i saw to be a more forgiving racer (like a NFS in some ways). the gt series has typically had so much going on in the background in terms of physics, it's had to make some sacrifices in other ways.

we can only imagine what gt5 will have to offer. prologue is really only a semi-unrefined taste of what gt5 really look/sound/play like.

kkelly122
03-08-2008, 05:40 PM
360 all the way. most of the games now are shown on commercials using xbox. with that you know its better than ps3

jman02007
03-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Xbox 360 died on me three times, the PS3 will just get better, I have one and its awesome.

RampHog
03-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Xbox 360 died on me three times, the PS3 will just get better, I have one and its awesome.

MS definitly has a problem with RROD, sucks to hear you have went through three.

I personally had a launch console that never failed, its now my bros and it still is running like a champ and my new elite is goin strong.

It is a nice gesture that MS extended the warranty to 3 yrs.

P.s. I am no MS fanboy but my 360 is one MS product that I don't regret dropping the cash on.

The Vindicat3d
03-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I like the 360 games and controller better, but I sold mine b/c of 1. blue-ray 2. 4 RRODs and 3. PS3 is getting a slew of great games this year.

leecho7
03-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I went through the RROD as well, and a friend of mine got an Elite that had the RROD. Because of this experience, the 360 has really let me down. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games on it. It's just that I now have this dread of seeing the RROD again.
Most of the games I really like for the 360 are available for the PS3 as well. I never really liked Halo (way overrated imo), and beat Gears of War in like 4 hours and got bored with it.
I did play the crap out of Forza 2 though. It was the only thing closest to GT5 that I knew of that didn't suck. I enjoyed playing Forza, but I found myself turning back to GT4 for the PS2 here and there.

CL33Zero
03-10-2008, 04:13 AM
beat Gears of War in like 4 hours and got bored with it.

Multiplayer my friend. Multiplayer...;D

Dylan1984
03-10-2008, 05:39 AM
360 all the way! The graphics tend to be brighter and sharper on the 360. Ok PS3 wins on Blu-Ray built in but it wont be long before MS adds Blu-Ray to the 360 package. Better games for 360 - Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect to name but a few. Case Closed! :)

nirvana
03-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Better games for 360 - Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect to name but a few. Case Closed! :)

None of those games interest me at all. ;D

sLux
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
GoW 2

leecho7
03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Multiplayer my friend. Multiplayer...;D

Not sure if I want to dish out another 100 bucks for the wireless adapter (since I live in a room that is being rented out with a wireless connection).
If I need to get my frag on, I typically turn to CS:S on my pc. I am a real frugal guy :Smirk:
This whole PS3 or Xbox 360 debate really comes down to personal preference.
In all honesty though, I'd wait until we hear something from E3 this year. I know Sony is planning to release a new version of their controller with the rumble function.
I also read that Microsoft is planning to release a controller similar to that of the PS3, with the tilt motion thingamerjig.

JuanGuapo
03-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I debated on whether to get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but ultimately went with the Xbox 360 because of the games and XBL.

I bought the Xbox 360 in Dec. 2006. Three weeks ago, the DVD drive stopped opening unless I wiggled the front of it. No RRoD but definitely frustrating.

Took it back to Sam's Club, got it refunded/exchanged for a new Xbox 360. The girl at the counter told me that they "...had a lot of 360s come back for the Red Ring."

My buddy bought one in March 2006 and is coming up on his one year. He was getting disc read errors....used a DVD Player cleaner disc....errors went away, no issues so far.

I'm not going to get into the reasons why I bought the 360 over the PS3, but I can tell you the reasons I didn't buy a PS3.

- No Rumble Controller ("coming soon" though)

- Non-Replaceable Controller Battery (this sucks! $11.99 for a replacement Xbox 360 rechargeable battery, and I can still use AA's)

- Blu Ray - Some saw this as a benefit, but I had absolutely no interest in getting a HD player...still don't. I didn't see any added benefit to BluRay games because they looked the same on the Xbox 360.

- Composite Cables Included, HDMI Cable is Extra (the 360 came w/ component cables)

- Games (the selection on 360 was much better)

Things I like about the PS3...

- Slot-loading design...no tray.
- SIXAXIS is a nice touch
- Bluetooth
- Internet Browser
- Can install Linux (but why?)

All in all, I'm still very happy w/ the 360 and haven't seen anything to envy on the PS3 yet.

03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
seems like the 360 gets the vote from most of you, i just found out at work today that the 360 is coming down in price by 50 so theres another plus for the xbox. I also read that extra content for GTA4 is only available on the 360 at the minute so xbox wins again!