Bootcamp / Windows XP Advice from YOU

Reaction score
I have a 2.16GHz 2GB MacBook. I have 100GB / 140GB remaining.

I want to install Widows XP using bootcamp but I want to keep my machine fast and lean.

With these specs, do you guys think I would sacrifice much by installing XP ?

Anyone have similar stories, Good and Bad ?

Thanks guys, this forum is the best!

OP
trayns
Reaction score
MB and Windows XP Advice From YOU

I want to install Widows XP using bootcamp but I want to keep my machine fast and lean.

OP
trayns
Reaction score
My MacBook's hardware to support XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black; 2.2 ghz core duo; 2 gb 667 mhz DDR2 SDRam; 8x SuperDrive; 160 gb hdd
Depending on what you want to use it for, it may be better to purchase Parallels or VMWare. Boot Camp, in practice, is only necessary if you want to run things at native speed (aka. memory intensive applications)

I know for me, I got tired of having to boot out of mac to use my handful of Windows apps. I got a good deal back a little while ago for VMWare fusion and have loved it ever since, no problems at all.

If your set on using Boot Camp, just use how ever much space you think you'll need, Windows will run fine with 20 gb or 100 gb.

Long story short, running XP on a mac is the same as any pc, just keep it up to date, windows is still vulnerable even on a MAC, they can't do all the work for them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You have the same specs as me and my MBP runs fine with XP on it. Installing XP via bootcamp will not affect your computing experience in any way when you're not running XP. It only makes a little black hole in your hard drive space. If you plan to run it with a virtual machine, that's another story, but still you should be just fine running XP alongside OS X with 2GB of RAM. Just make sure you go with XP and not Vista!

A lot of people say install via virtual machine only and not with bootcamp, but I fail to see the difference. It's not like installing via bootcamp costs anything, and using the virtual machine you just tell it to boot from the bootcamp partition. Plus, in the event you need to run some heavy resource-using or graphics-based program, you'll be glad you have the ability to just run XP natively.

It looks like you have plenty of hard drive space available, but depending on what you're planning on running, you won't need much for XP. I only allocated 12 GB for XP on mine. Besides the OS I have a few small programs and MS Office '07, and I still have 3 GB of space left.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.