printer sharing question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram
I am cruising right along with my introduction into the Mac world. Last night I was able to network my Mac to my XP machines.... Funny thing is, I spent 30 minutes trying to get the XP to see the Mac. In frustration I went to the Mac and noticed that it had already found both XP boxes.... XP still can't see the Mac but whatever....

So, I set up the printer sharing this morning (Printer on Mac) by using Bonjour. I noticed that it did not work when my Mac was sleeping but when I woke it up... all was fine. I was able to install the printer on the XP box and print.

My question is, how do I get around this sleeping Mac not waking up with printer job thing? Is this common or do I have a problem? If it is common, does anyone have a workaround for it? Is there a "nap" feature where maybe the computer does not get so disabled that it will not wake up?

Thanks

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You may need to enable File Sharing in the Network Preferences on you mac to let Windows 'see' it'

As for your printer/sleep issue. You need to trigger 'Wake-on-lan'. There's an interesting post on it here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050118192723153

Although it's an older post but it might get you started

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may need to enable File Sharing in the Network Preferences on you mac to let Windows 'see' it'

As for your printer/sleep issue. You need to trigger 'Wake-on-lan'. There's an interesting post on it here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050118192723153

Although it's an older post but it might get you started

The information on this site worked great... the wake-on-lan program wakes up the mac no problem.... I'm not sure about using IP address as I am pretty sure my address will change from time to time (dynamic allocation)..... but that should be a rare occasion.

Thanks for the link and the information

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
The information on this site worked great... the wake-on-lan program wakes up the mac no problem.... I'm not sure about using IP address as I am pretty sure my address will change from time to time (dynamic allocation)..... but that should be a rare occasion.

Thanks for the link and the information
If you are on a local network, i.e. you share the internet with multiple computers via a router/switch., you should always have the same IP on all computers.
DHCP (dynamic) means the router automatically assigns the "internal" network IP's to all connected computers, and routes the info. accordingly.
The internet IP should have no bearing on your LAN addresses.
Unless you change the port on the router the computer is connected to, or change routers, the IP should always stay the same.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats good to know.... You would think 20 years as a developer I would understand this stuff... but networking is like a foreign language to me.

I just had a lesson from the IP guy and I think I still have an issue but I described it wrong.

SInce I am behind a modem from TW and then I have a router, I don't care what TW does with my external IP address....
but...
There is no guarantee that my internal IP address will stay the same. I have to reboot the router from time to time... also ice storms or whatever could cut power. When the router comes back up it conceivably could give my Mac a different internal IP..... Now he did say I could do a "reservation" in the router that says, always give MAC address XXX IP YYY.....

Does this sound like I am getting closer to understanding the workings for a home network?

I don't imagine I will see this issue very much, probably only when I lose power and get unlucky on re-allocation of IPs....

Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thats good to know.... You would think 20 years as a developer I would understand this stuff... but networking is like a foreign language to me.

I just had a lesson from the IP guy and I think I still have an issue but I described it wrong.

SInce I am behind a modem from TW and then I have a router, I don't care what TW does with my external IP address....
but...
There is no guarantee that my internal IP address will stay the same. I have to reboot the router from time to time... also ice storms or whatever could cut power. When the router comes back up it conceivably could give my Mac a different internal IP..... Now he did say I could do a "reservation" in the router that says, always give MAC address XXX IP YYY.....

Does this sound like I am getting closer to understanding the workings for a home network?

I don't imagine I will see this issue very much, probably only when I lose power and get unlucky on re-allocation of IPs....

Carl

Glad that stuff worked for you.

If your router is able to 'reserve' IP addresses for particular MAC addresses then yes that's the way to go. Not all routers have the functionality but many do. Certainly worth a look.

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.