PDA

View Full Version : Road trip/Ipod advice!

RampHog
03-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey all,

I have to drive across the country here in a couple weeks in a rental truck with just an AM/FM radio. Thats not gunna be very fun so I was thinking I would bring My Klipsch Igroove sxt with me in the cab for some tunes from my ipod.

Question is, I need to buy a power inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to power my Ipod dock. The Igroove SXT has no specs on how many watts it is. What is a safe wattage i should look for when buying a power inverter?

Thanks guys!!

cheesybanana
03-05-2008, 12:56 AM
I would just pick up a car charger and use headphones. Cheaper, safer, and easier :)

RampHog
03-05-2008, 01:21 AM
I would just pick up a car charger and use headphones. Cheaper, safer, and easier :)

Not a bad idea but I'm the one who's driving, I think wearing headphones driving is illegal in pretty much every state.

fleurya
03-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't know what the truck situation is, but if you have easy access to where the antenna plugs into the stereo head unit, there is a cord out there that you can plug into any headphone jack and the other can plug into the antenna plug of a stereo. That way you could hook your ipod directly to the stereo. I only wish I could remember which website I saw that cord on.

WakeCarver
03-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Not a bad idea but I'm the one who's driving, I think wearing headphones driving is illegal in pretty much every state.

It is. You coud just use a tape deck converter if the rental truck has a tape player.

cheesybanana
03-05-2008, 01:33 AM

Hmmm...I forgot about that.

You could get a FM transmitter for your iPod. It would probably still be cheaper than a power inverter.

Leukeh
03-05-2008, 07:44 AM
You could get a FM transmitter for your iPod. It would probably still be cheaper than a power inverter.

Those things are fantastic! Plus, a lot of them come with car chargers :D

dauber
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Only thing is that the FM transmitters are very hit-and-miss. It really depends on your surroundings. You might find yourself constantly changing frequencies on the radio.

RampHog
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
It is. You coud just use a tape deck converter if the rental truck has a tape player.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

No tape deck in the rental truck. Its your typical moving truck from Penske, just an AM/FM radio!

I was looking on newegg.com and I can get a 400watt power inverter for like $40.00, not bad. 400watts seems like overkill but I could probably run my laptop at the same time with that much juice.

I have went through like 4 FM transmitters and they all were horrible, I've totally abandoned that method for sure!

If anyone here isn;t familiar with NewEgg.com you guys shoud really check them out, smokin deals all the time with cheap shipping!

soul.glo
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I have one with the same wattage(sp?). It's nice to have the extra juice for when you want to use a laptop, etc. It works fine and it's perfect for road trips, even though I don't get out on too many these days. Stuck on an island, but I can't complain.