Mini Mac and Sony TV

ixo

Reaction score
I bought Mini this weekend and I want to connect to my Sony HD Projection TV (5 years old). TV has DVI connector so I connected Mini with DVI cable.
Unfortunately brightness of picture is terrible. Everything is foggy, so I have to turn resolution to 800 x 600 so I can read. ( I have listed 1024 x 576, 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080 (interlaced))
It is interesting how good picture is if I watch movie from Mini. It is same as from my DVD player.
So, I have only bad picture on TV if I use desktop (internet or any application).
I already ordered cable from DVI to component video. I want to try connect Mini on this way. What do you think?

Does anybody have same experience? Do you have idea how I can improve quality of picture when I use Mini desktop. I would like to use internet and other applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
The DVI cable will provide the best resolution. The picture will likely get worse with componet video. Older TV's are not made to display computer text and things like that so you just are not going to get a good picture on that TV. iTunes videos and Movies should look great because the TV is designed to display video. Newer LCD and Plasma TV's will work great with the mini though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you break it down, the computer can be a basic DVD player. It's not going to look or perform any better. I have to sit about 6 ft away from my TV when reading text to see it clearly. As the previous poster said, TV's are designed for motion, not static images, so text will not be as crisp as a video.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree projection TV's were definitly not made with displaying computer text in mind. There's no way you'll make that partnership work in my opinion.

If you do end up buying an LCD try to avoid one with a max resolution of 800x600 or lower, it seems quite random what resolution a LCD tv has in comparison to it's price, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean a higher resolution. Shop around and try and find 1440x900 / 1366x768 or at least 1024x768.

OP
I

ixo

Reaction score
Thanks guys for replays. I was close to decision of changing TV to new LCD and this definatelly make me to do it.

OP
I

ixo

Reaction score
Cable DVI to component video

I just want to let you know I have received cable DVI to component video cable. I conencted Mini with my Sony Tv with this cable. I could not get picture at all on TV. There are odd lines on the screen only. There is no picture of desktop at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.