• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

need help deciding.... ibook or older powerbook?

C

cpearson

New to the forum... hope to be new to mac soon...
I am currently debating on whether i want an apple or PC, right now i have my heart set on apple(from all the good things i've heard and also the badass looks). I need a laptop to help me through college, studying Computer Engineering right now and i would love a computer that will let me do my programming as well as browse the internet/send email... no games on this guy. I have never used an apple laptop, so it is hard to compare to the PC(which is what Im used to). If anyone has used their ibook or powerbook for programming, your opinion would be greatly appreciated. I can't spend too much money though <$900 so if anyone could recommend a system for my needs with a low price (ibook or powerbook only...no clamshell) i would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd either get a current iBook, or a rev. B powerbook if you can find one for that price...

Both 12" models run at 1Ghz and are great for college use.

I don't have any programming experience, but I can tell you that Mac OSX is based on Unix, so you should be able to use Unix-like commands on here...

Plus you can always install a PowerPC linux distribution on your book if you want!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.