Mac cinema screen

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I have an 23" cinema screen, 6 years old (the type with plastic surround). It has become redundant as my old G4 powermac tower has been replaced with a 24" iMac.

I would like to move the cinema screen to my son's (aged 11) desk. However, the G4 is too rickety and too slow to be worth upgrading, my son's old G3 laptop (another cast off) is useless for what he needs and so my question is...

Can I connect the 23" screen to a Mac Mini or maybe an iBook. It needs to have an Intel chip and be fast enough to run a few modern games (which the G4 cannot).

If I have to buy an adaptor (as I think may be the case) I seem to recollect that they cost about £100 in the UK. By the time I have done this I am wondering if might as well just buy him a 20" iMac. Seems a shame to waste the very good cinema screen though.

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The Mac mini will definitely be able to run the 23" display. However, as for your gaming concerns, you had best look elsewhere cause that GMA950 isn't going to do any good. Even the macbook has a slightly better onboard graphics, but still not good enough for a 23" display.

Your other option would be to setup a dual display for your 24" iMac. It might look a little weird given that both your monitors have the same resolution but different sizes, but you will get used to it soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
More great advice from Goobi. I agree with him completely on all accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.