cross platform secure file server?

Reaction score
i've set up plain FTP and SSH FTP on my network, which works fine. i would like a cross platform client and server method of sharing files over local network and internet with secure login (ie encrypted tunnel, so passwords aren't sent in cleartext) that works reasonably seemlessly, as i often use machines that are not mine to install software or make changes to. i use mac os, linux and windows so a common method is very important.

i know SSH is unix, so not supported by windows (at least not by default), and setting up certificates for SSL on every server i'd use, on different OS's, seems daunting. are there any other ways i could use?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You can use a SSH client on windows.
There are plenty of SFTP clients for any OS.
AFP has been updated to not pass passwords in clear.

If you're going over the net, I'd say use SFTP or create a VPN.

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply, i took a look around for windows ssh

filezilla is available for mac/lin/win with ssh ftp server software for windows so i will give that a try

cheers for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
You can also try winscp for windows. One of the better gui scp programs out there I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard
Not to sound like a noob, and maybe there is a better thread to find the information I am looking for, but this seems like information I am looking for. I am trying to network my computers on my local network, but am having trouble. I really don't know where to start. The computers in question are my MBP w/ leopard, a Mac Pro tiger, a Vista, and XP. So, if anyone wants to take a crack at helping me learn how to network these computers I would very grateful.

OP
S
Reaction score
i'm sure ppl won't mind helping you out, but the networking windows and macs question comes up all the time, for example here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89792&highlight=network+windows

see if you can follow that and get it working, if not its best to start your own thread, as its best for threads to stay on topic (this thread is about securely sharing files over the internet as well as local network). be as specific as possible about how far you get and any error messages and others will find it easier to pinpoint your problems

good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.