• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tornado at Camp Shelby (where I work)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Well it was a crazy night at work last night. About 11:20PM central time we got hit by a tornado. Luckily only one occupied building was destroyed and all the soldiers escaped with only minor injuries. This was a miracle because the barracks collapsed on top of them in their sleep. Several Humvees were overturned and one was even picked up and thrown through a building and then landed upside down across the street. When I left work this morning my car had moved about 2 feet forwards and to the side and it had a barricade sitting on the hood, there was no real damage luckily. I'll post a link to a few pictures taken with my iPhone below, I apologize for the quality.

Link to story. http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=61713, http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/UPDATES01/80304002/1002/NEWS01

Link to pictures. http://gallery.mac.com/babarnette#100153&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=12

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Wow. I'm glad you're fine and that no one was seriously hurt.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info... My nephew was in that barrack. He is one of the 2 guys that were awake and the one who told everyone to get down and take cover. Thanks for the pics as well. Any more information and pics would be very greatly appreciated. I was told to tell you you are doing a better job than the news. A lot of people here in Mena have been quite shook up this morning... adrenaline levels are high.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Thanks so much for the info... My nephew was in that barrack. He is one of the 2 guys that were awake and the one who told everyone to get down and take cover. Thanks for the pics as well. Any more information and pics would be very greatly appreciated. I was told to tell you you are doing a better job than the news. A lot of people here in Mena have been quite shook up this morning... adrenaline levels are high.

I'm glad your nephew is ok. I can't really release any info that has not already been released to the news agencies. I wish I could but I'm not allowed. I was asleep all day because I work nights and when I got back to work tonight the building had been completely torn down so sensitive items could be recoverd. There were only 14 soldiers with injuries and they have all returned to duty. Everyone was very lucky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.