wireless storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi guys.

Just found a cracking deal for external hd that kets you stream video to your mac. Seems like a more cost effective option than appletv?

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4fr4

I was going to stream video from something like this upstairs down to my mbp that is linked to my 42inch plasma.

Does any1 know any reports on this product?
Would this do a good job streaming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
This seems interesting. I have just (in the last few days) started looking into DLNA Certified media players, ie PS3. Up till now, I have never even heard of DLNA, and now that I know that the PS3 is a DLNA certied device, I can easily move data from my laptop to my PS3 for playback, ie home movies, pics, etc. I'm also keeping an eye on the Playstation 3 DVR that is going to be released in Europe, if that makes it to the states and they figure out the legalities of it, and determine that if I am allowed to actually record movies, programs off my TV, legally. Then I can legally record programming, store it for playback on a device like this. The only thing I would miss out on with the Apple TV would be the On Demand feature, the notion that I can just download whatever I want to watch right now.

I really wanted to buy the Apple TV last week when I picked up my Time Capsule, but the $5 HD rentals really slowed me down on that idea. And with using Netflix for my movie rentals, at a price of $12 a month, I'm hard pressed to pick up the Apple TV. So, if all things work out a device like this could really come in handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.