Getting an iMac G3 333MHz (Rev D) online

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook [2.4 GHz Intel, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD], iMac G5 [2.0GHz PPC, 512MB RAM, 500GB HDD]
I have iMac G3, 333MHz (Rev D) tray loader. Ethernet specification is 10/100Base-T. It should have OS X Panther on it soon one way or another, so I was wondering about connecting it to my home network (purely to share the internet connection, I'm not bothered about file sharing etc.).

This particular iMac is too early a model to have AirPort support (not so much as an expansion slot!). I have a Buffalo WBMR-G54 wireless broadband modem router, and I'd be connecting it to this somehow. My parents really, really don't want me running an patch cable up to my room or through the walls/ceiling/anywhere in general, so I'm thinking wireless or Homeplug (Ethernet over mains).

Homeplug is looking the most promising at the moment, as there's no wireless configuration hassle, and I could then add another plug to the main bedroom where we have our old Windows 98SE machine in case of a necessity for internet up there.

The only alternative I could think of was perhaps getting a USB Wi-Fi dongle that's supported by OS X Panther (10.3). Any thoughts?

I've also seen that the Homeplug packs I've been looking at have configuration software for Windows. Am I mistaken thinking they'll work without it and that the router and iMac will just consider it a normal patch cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.