Terrible reception with Ti Powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I am getting TERRIBLE reception from my Ti Powerbook. I get 3 bars when i am right next to the router, the rest of the time it seems to be two bars or very little range at all.

I installed the card from my G4 imac and the reception was exactly the same when I am getting full bars consistently with the imac.

What can I do?

I re-seated the card and made sure that the antennae is plugged in properly, I also have all the latest software updates and am running leopard

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am getting TERRIBLE reception from my Ti Powerbook. I get 3 bars when i am right next to the router, the rest of the time it seems to be two bars or very little range at all.

I installed the card from my G4 imac and the reception was exactly the same when I am getting full bars consistently with the imac.

What can I do?

I re-seated the card and made sure that the antennae is plugged in properly, I also have all the latest software updates and am running leopard

Try changing the channel your router is using. Most of the time, reception problems are caused by competing signals - especially if you're still seeing poor signal strength right next to the router.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I just tried it with no luck. My 2 other computers on the network are at full bars while the Ti is at 2.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried it with no luck. My 2 other computers on the network are at full bars while the Ti is at 2.

Have you tried swapping the antenna leads around?

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by swapping antenna leads?

In the Ti the antenna cable is soldered to the antenna in the case which appears to be glued to the case.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by swapping antenna leads?

In the Ti the antenna cable is soldered to the antenna in the case which appears to be glued to the case.

Admittedly, I've not seen the Airport cards in that series of Powerbook, but on a lot of internal wi-fi cards, there are two connectors where the antenna leads mount to the card via a snap-on connector. One is primary, the other is secondary. What I'm referring to is swapping the antenna connectors from primary to secondary and vice versa.

OP
Jonnyfive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will look into it. Looking at the card it did look like there was another antenna port with a block stopper in it. I am not sure if I can plug in the antenna there but I will give it a try in the next day or two, I am kinda sick of opening it up at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.