Can't Connect to Internet

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac World.
I got a Macbook Pro and I'm having issues with internet connection.

I have set up the networks at pretty much all the locations I visit frequently. My Macbook shows the Networks under the Airport Icon. I have all the passwords saved on these networks as to automatically connect.

My problem is that why is it that at times I can not connect. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. When I can't, I would have to shut down and re-boot and that works sometimes. Other times it doesn't and I just wait to try it again later.

For instance... this happens at my home. I know it's not the internet connection because I have my other computer connected via ethernet and it works. I also have my xp laptop and it works wireless. It's just this Macbook Pro.

Any Suggestions?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"
I have had a problem similar to this with my iPod touch, where if yells at me and says i cant connect....Are you sure you have a strong signal? That's the only solution I can think of.

OP
M
Reaction score
My signal has full bars. I know that's not an issue.

What I noticed is that when I went to Network Settings... I saw that the AirPort light was green and said "Self-Assigned IP" underneath it.

Then on the "Status" it said it was "On" and underneath that, it said this:
"AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I'm not sure how or why this happens.

Can anyone explain and give me a fix for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My signal has full bars. I know that's not an issue.

What I noticed is that when I went to Network Settings... I saw that the AirPort light was green and said "Self-Assigned IP" underneath it.

Then on the "Status" it said it was "On" and underneath that, it said this:
"AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I'm not sure how or why this happens.

Can anyone explain and give me a fix for this?
Search: Key Word(s): self-assigned, address

Need help Setting up internet, not WiFi

Airport Problem (Self-Assigned IP Address)

just can't connect to the internet...

Won't connect to single wireless connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Try dhcp release or renew on your router

Reaction score
Solution that worked for me - Deselect "Bridge Mode"

Hi,

I had this same problem and after much discussion with Apple support, we reset my Airport and, instead of "Bridge" mode, tell it to share a public IP address. This is because my ethernet connection comes directly from the wall and is provided by my apartment management (i.e. I don't have my own modem). So, I don't know if this is the situation for the original poster, and his post was a while ago anyway, but in case someone else lands here like I did, here's what we did to fix my problem:

First, to check whether you're in Bridge mode:

-Go to Airport Utility.
-Go to Manual Setup.
-Go to the Internet symbol at the top.
-Under "Connection Sharing," you should have "Share a public IP address" (not "Off (Bridge Mode)").

If you are in Bridge Mode, then you have to reset your airport (the little button next to the audio port), go through the whole setup shebang again, and be sure NOT to select "Bridge Mode", but rather, select "Share Public IP Address."

Hope this helps someone.

Reaction score
Cannot enter Manual setup!

I have the same problem but i cannot even enter manual setup because it cannot even find any airport wireless devices. My internet is working because my mini mac is connecting. My macbook pro connects to the wireless but after a short while it turns to an exclamation mark and says there is no connection.

Any tips would be great! I really need the internet on my laptop right now for work.

Reaction score
I have the same problem but i cannot even enter manual setup because it cannot even find any airport wireless devices. My internet is working because my mini mac is connecting. My macbook pro connects to the wireless but after a short while it turns to an exclamation mark and says there is no connection.

Any tips would be great! I really need the internet on my laptop right now for work.

have you updated your airport via software update ?
if you did , then the problem is still appear
try to go to system pref > network > delete airport > close system pref > restart your mac > open system pref > network > add new airport ..

Reaction score
Deleted and restarted

I can't update the airport because i cant connect to the internet! how would i do this. I have doe what you said anyway and now it says that my AirPort has a "self assigned IP" and will not be able to connect to the internet.

any suggestions. thanks for the help.

Reaction score
I can't update the airport because i cant connect to the internet! how would i do this. I have doe what you said anyway and now it says that my AirPort has a "self assigned IP" and will not be able to connect to the internet.

any suggestions. thanks for the help.

if you use your own wifi router not public router, try to reset the router, after that try to connect your mac again ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable to your Airport then check for IPv4 config DHCP
this will give it an ip then you should be able to get on depending on the modem you may
have to disconnect the wan for 15 to 20 seconds then plug back in.

Reaction score
?

Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable to your Airport then check for IPv4 config DHCP
this will give it an ip then you should be able to get on depending on the modem you may
have to disconnect the wan for 15 to 20 seconds then plug back in.

thanks for replying, but how do i do this exactly? Check for ipv4 config DHCP?

Reaction score
oh NO sorry it hasnt worked. i put in the address i get from ethernet cable and it DOES say connected on the Airport, but it still does not connect when i open the browser even though its not working offline. confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
thanks for replying, but how do i do this exactly? Check for ipv4 config DHCP?

It will be in your Airport Utility and in system preferences under TCP/IP
Go to system pref >network>advanced>TCP/IP > connect (DHCP) might have
to hit renew ip.
Airport Utility >Manual setup >internet>TCP/IP >config IPv4 using DHCP also may have to click on renew DHCP lease. Sometimes after this you may have to reboot the AE.

Reaction score
oh NO sorry it hasnt worked. i put in the address i get from ethernet cable and it DOES say connected on the Airport, but it still does not connect when i open the browser even though its not working offline. confused.

Did you get it working? I have exactly the same issue with both an iBook G4 and now my new MacBook Pro. I can get wireless internet on other networks but not my own. It used to work on the iBook G4 and then suddenly stopped.

Reaction score
Did you get it working? I have exactly the same issue with both an iBook G4 and now my new MacBook Pro. I can get wireless internet on other networks but not my own. It used to work on the iBook G4 and then suddenly stopped.

I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro. The router (Linksys WRT54G) wouldn't assign an ip address to my MacBook even though it would for the PC's in the same room. I finally upgraded to the latest firmware for the router and this worked for me with no problems now. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Unable to connect to Internet

So I have a similar situation with my MacBook not connecting to the Internet. My main problem is that I'm in an apartment complex and it's all wireless so I have no access to the modem or router.

I know the Internet works because I'm on wifi on my iPhone typing this out.

So main problem is this, yesterday the Internet just stopped working. I have a MacBook running 10.6.7 and my airport signal is full. In Network it says my airport is connected to the wireless network for my building and that it has an
IP address. The way this wifi works in the building is that a page opens up when you open safari and I type in my login and password. That page doesn't prompt on my MacBook anymore but it does on my iPhone. I don't know what's going on because I didn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
So I have a similar situation with my MacBook not connecting to the Internet. My main problem is that I'm in an apartment complex and it's all wireless so I have no access to the modem or router.

I know the Internet works because I'm on wifi on my iPhone typing this out.

So main problem is this, yesterday the Internet just stopped working. I have a MacBook running 10.6.7 and my airport signal is full. In Network it says my airport is connected to the wireless network for my building and that it has an
IP address. The way this wifi works in the building is that a page opens up when you open safari and I type in my login and password. That page doesn't prompt on my MacBook anymore but it does on my iPhone. I don't know what's going on because I didn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. 2011 MBP, wifi was working fine yesterday and stopped working last night. The wifi still actually works b/c it's fine on my iphone, Windows desktop, and when I boot into Windows on the actual MBP. Running Snow Leopard though, it connects and gets an IP but won't display a webpage. Also, signal strength is fine.

It's really weird because nothing changed from last night. It was working, then I restarted and booted into Windows to play a game, then restarted and booted into OSX. At some point after that when I tried going online, I saw it wasn't working with any browser (tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.