Clipping when splicing tracks together

Reaction score
Hello

I've done a search but haven't found what I'm looking for and would appreciate some advice. :)

I'm splicing two takes of a recording together (done on an external mike) to form a single track. Where the splice point occurs (or split point), there is a clipping sound. Is there a way to diminish or eliminate this?

I have limited knowledge of garageband functions. I've done a search in the help menu and can't find an answer. I'd be grateful for any help!

Thanks,

Lindoro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Difficult to say exactly but to me it sounds like you haven't made the edit at the zero-crossing point. When you view your waveform there is a centre point on both left and right channels (or one if you're in mono) with the waveform oscillating either side of this. When you make an edit you want to make it at the point at which the wave reaches this zero point. That way, when you place two edits together the waveform seamlessly moves through the zero-crossing without any jumps. Essentially it is the point at which there is zero voltage and the speaker cone is in the centre (i.e. where it is when there is no sound).

The clipping you're hearing is the waveform suddenly jumping from one value to another where the edit has been made, as opposed to a nice smooth transition. Most audio editors have a "snap to zero-crossing" option so all your edits will snap to this point automatically.

This Wikipedia article illustrates the principle HERE

Hope this helps. If not i can try explaining more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
try "merging" the two together if you haven't already. i've found in g-band when i splice tracks together with out making it one track afterwards, it gives the "pop" sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.