PDFs in Leopard/CS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, ibook, ipod
Hey there! I do graphic design/print for a small company and just upgraded to Leopard and CS3. I'm the only designer here, so I have no one to bounce ideas and problems off of. I was just wondering if anyone else has been having the PDF problems I have after upgrading.

I usually use Adobe Acrobat Distiller to create PDFs. I have not had any troubles with it in the past. Since the upgrade, strange things happen to illustrator files. Things drop out, the shapes change...just strange. Here's what makes it even more strange! The thumbnails are correct! When opened in viewer or Illustrator things just seem to be missing. I also just had a strange one come across my desk out of Illustrator. I believe a high resolution pdf was saved out of Illustrator. When opened in viewer, everything is fine, when opened back up in Illustrator I had a gradient background disappear, the box containing the gradient was gone as well. I'm baffled. Maybe there are settings or something in both distiller and in Illustrator for saving PDFs that I'm missing. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I use CS3 at work, but on Tiger.

For hires PDFs I save straight out of Indesign and Illustrator (well also lores files)

How are you saving them, for acrobat 4,5, 6 or above

For Hires files I tend to use one of the industry standard settings like PDF/X that keeps the layering, only saving as acrobat 4 (which flattens everything) if a problem is reported.

I have had no problems with the printers apart from the odd file here and there

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, ibook, ipod
Response - Yeah, I never had these issues in Tiger. That's why I'm kind of wondering if it's something to do with Leopard. In a lot of cases I'm saving out multiple files at a time to send out on pdf approval, with no editing capabilities, but for proofing reasons, the files need to come out right for the approval process. It's much easier to use distiller if I have to send a proof for like 30 different files instead of saving out of Illustrator, but apparently it's not just distiller having issues with pdfs because I've ran into it saving them out of Illustrator as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.