• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just Bought a Macbook 2 weeks ago

Reaction score
OK, as you can see above, I just bought a Macbook 2 weeks ago. Now, they get an update. I WANT THE NEW MODELS!!! I bought the old middle model, with 1GB Ram 120 GB hard drive and 2.2GHZ processor with a superdrive. What can I do? Can I get the new model? Can I get a refund? How do I go about it? PLEASE HELP!

~Wayne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If it's within 14 days.. Apple will let you exchange it... if you bought it EXACTLY "2 weeks ago" I would be on the phone with Apple right now if I were you and not here asking non-apple employees :D:D:D

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, I'm not at my house right now, so I'm not exactly sure on the date, but it was close to 2 weeks ago. Also, it was purchased at the Apple Store, so are the exchange policy's any different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's 14 days. You can type in the serial number HERE and it will tell you when it was purchased... ***on mine it shows exactly 1 day AFTER I actually bought it.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-20

APPLE.com said:
Return and Refund Policy

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

* Product that is custom configured to your specifications, including personalized products

* Opened memory, including storage devices such as memory sticks (but excluding disc drives)

* Opened software (Note that you may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, if your software includes a license that you can read before you break the seal or sticker on the software media packaging, you may not return the software once you break the software media packaging seal or sticker.)

* Electronic software downloads

* Software Up to Date Program Products (i.e., software upgrade subscription product)

* Apple Gift Cards

* Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)

* Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to call Customer Support here in a bit. I will post back what happens as soon as I find out.

Thanks for the help,
Wayne

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, so I just got off the phone with the Apple Store where I purchased my Macbook. I purchased the Macbook on February 7th, which is past the 14 days. However, the manager at the store decided that under the circumstances, he would overlook the days and allow me to return it. Now, I still have to pay the restocking fee for my old Macbook. Do you think that this is a good deal, or should I ask for more?

I was thinking about asking for a free mini-DVI to DVI and DVI to HDMI cables while I am there. Do you think that that would work?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
OK, so I just got off the phone with the Apple Store where I purchased my Macbook. I purchased the Macbook on February 7th, which is past the 14 days. However, the manager at the store decided that under the circumstances, he would overlook the days and allow me to return it. Now, I still have to pay the restocking fee for my old Macbook. Do you think that this is a good deal, or should I ask for more?

I was thinking about asking for a free mini-DVI to DVI and DVI to HDMI cables while I am there. Do you think that that would work?

Thanks,
Wayne

How much will the restocking fee come out to?

Why would they give you a free mini-DVI cable for? They are already looking past the 14 days for you. Don't get greedy.

OP
B
Reaction score

Why would they give you a free mini-DVI cable for? They are already looking past the 14 days for you. Don't get greedy.

Thats what I thought too, I just want one of those cables. Sorry for that. Anyway, the fee comes out to exactly $115.01.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I agree with Eric, you should be glad they're overlooking the 14 day limit. Those cables cost less than $20 each. I say just stick with your current machine and buy the cables you need. You'll spend a lot less money that way.

Reaction score
I bought my white mid-line macbook at Best Buy last week for $1299. They actually cut the box open in the store because the corner of the box was crushed. He wasn't even going to tape it back up, but I asked him to. I haven't even powered the computer up yet, been busy with other stuff. I saw this post today, and called Best Buy... They tell me that there will be a 15% restocking fee, because they have no way of knowing whether I used the computer or not. I can understand that, but it still sucks. I'm not about to return it and pay $195 more just for the new model. The only benefit I'd get would be the faster processor, since I'm upgrading my Ram to 4 gb anyway, and my hard drive to a 200 gb 7200 RPM drive.

What I am considering is this... Return mine to BB for $1105. Buy a refurb of the same model from Apple at their new lowered price of $999. Buy a Canon Selphy photo printer that will be free after rebate, which I will then sell on eBay. Buy .Mac for the $30 savings. Overall, after I sell the printer on eBay, I'd probably be at a point around $150 lower than what I will get back from BB. So it would be worth it from a money standpoint, without taking into account the added hassle. When taking into account the added hassle though, I am leaning toward just installing my upgrades in this one that I already have and firing it up for the first time. I had even considered returning mine to BB and moving up to a MBP refurb for $1449 from Apple, but doubt I would do that.

Any suggestions? Like I said, I am leaning toward just keeping what I have and taking it as a lesson to buy it from Apple (or somewhere else without a restocking fee) next time around.

Reaction score
These news about Mac Book upgrades are great. I was hesitating to buy one for a long time, and suddenly they announce that Mac Books and MBP models will be upgraded!
2GB of memory standard in most models
This is the most important thing for me! I'm intended to buy Parallels Desktop and/or Boot Camp so that I can run Windows. I heard that virtualization requires lots of RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.