PDA

View Full Version : Ringtones

GRider
02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Good Day, I'm planing to get a Ringtone from a non iTunes store. Does anyone out there knows it will work on my iphone. Also is our iphones WAP or GPRS enabled, support DRM (Digital Rights Management)?

fleurya
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM
You don't have much information, so I'm going to assume you have an Apple computer. If that's the case, don't waste your money buying ringtones. Instead buy a DRM-free version of the song you want from someplace like Amazon. (all of Amazon's mp3's are DRM free, so you really should never buy anything with DRM ever again!) Once you have the song, that you can now use with whatever you want, open it in Garageband and select a 40 second clip. Then go to "share" and export it to iTunes as a ringtone.

It's that easy and you're not locked down to annoying DRM. If you don't have an Apple computer, there are other ways to convert DRM-free mp3's to a ringtone for your iPhone. It's a little more difficult, at first, but definitely worth it in my book. Just do some Googling and you'll find it in no time.

GRider
02-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the reply, I do have an apple computer. This particular ringtone that I wanted is from the official FORMULA 1 website and it is DRM. How can I make it work on my phone?

Sent
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
If you have someone with a bluetooth PDA phone. They can download a ringtone via computer by making one. Hence they can send it to you via email or bluetooth.

That is what I did.

Verbal
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Once you have the song, that you can now use with whatever you want, open it in Garageband and select a 40 second clip. Then go to "share" and export it to iTunes as a ringtone.

Does that really work? Only in Garageband?

I don't use Garageband but I use other Audio editors by Apple and other companies.

fleurya
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
As I said, even if you have a Windows machine you can still do it, which is using other audio editors. But doing it with Garageband is much easier. I did a couple myself and I've never even opened Garageband before trying.

wot_fan
02-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I agree, the Garageband method is very easy even for a novice like me. If you are looking for detailed instructions, you can find them here (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=465) ;).