so has my harddrive crapped out on me?

Reaction score
Hey all... just found this forum and wanted to say hello! Been a mac owner all my life... i remember when we had the Mac Classic back in the day... that was a great computer...

but anyways... The other day i got a warning on my computer stating that my internal harddrive was completely full, even though the other day i had at least 10 gigs left on it... i deleted some of my files and freed up some space, but every couple of seconds the free space would decrease back down to zero. I restarted the system and it was decreasing the harddrive space again... so i ran some disk utilities...

It seems to have stabilized for the around 9 gigs, but it still fluctuates slightly... so is it done for? am i gonna have to send my computer back to apple? help me out you guys!!

Reaction score
Well... My HD well and truly crapped out on me and I didn't experience any of that. What machine is it? OS?

OP
T
Reaction score
macbook... the middle one.... workin on OS 10.4 i believe... i'm not home at the moment... at work on the evils of windows...

it seems to have stabilized now.... but i'm just wary about it ya know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Go to About this mac and then > more info

under ATA or Serial ATA you will find the details of your hard drive - what does the S.M.A.R.T status say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC
my HD did that right before it failed. If your HD is 3 + yrs old it will probably go down. Spend the 60-100.00 and replace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1,1 IntelCore Duo 1.83 GHz 2MB Cache 512 MB Memory
Before the crash back-up everything you want then do as s-works suggests...get a new HD.

I didn't realize mine was dying and lost photos and spradsheets I hadn't backed up. Very sad.

I understand there is a new Mac peripheral that will back-up everything all the time so if your HD dies you have a perfect clone. Time capsule?

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.