Lacie External 250GB anyone?

Reaction score
I have the rugged 250gb drive as well as the 120 gb drive. I notice that the 250gb really overheats itself quite a bit. I'm really afraid of the damage the heat may cause to the drive.

I have so far been able to make it better by not daisy chaining my 120gb drive and just using the 120 as a backup to my files on the 250 gb drive. This works well. When I'm done with a project I just dump them all on my larger hard drives at home.

I also think it might have helped that I have now started using the USB extra bus adapter. Does this help with heat generated or just more power for speed for the drive?

I noticed the usb cable does not help the heating up of the 250gb drive when still daisy chaining the 120gb drive. So, that is why I wonder if the USB helps with heat generation at all for the 250gb drive. Maybe it's just the daisy chaining of drives that makes it heat up that much.

Anyway, even though it is better, I still find it very very hot and I work with this setup on a daily basis.

Please let me know what your thoughts or experiences are with this.

Thanks,

Andry

Reaction score
Are the hard drives running continually? Perhaps you should turn them off while they are not in use, i.e. when you are sleeping or away from the house/office.

Just a thought.

OP
A
Reaction score
I normally have my computer and of course in that case the hard drives would be off as well as they run off of the computer's power, during the daytime, and from 3-8 hours during the night when I'm sleeping. Depends what time I go to bed. They are on most of the evening. But they get really hot within 30 minutes of usage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.