PDA

View Full Version : 3G iPhone??

Aggreko
02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I am on the verge of buying an Iphone. My only question is how far away is the 3g IPHONE. I know its coming out this year. Does anyone have any clue as to when its coming out?

airwalk331
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. My verizon contract is up (im on a month-to-month), half the buttons on the front of my phone don't work and my ipod just died yesterday. I'm trying to hold out for the 3G iPhone as well...

Anyone have any idea??

Lifeisabeach
02-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Nope. I did once read a comment that when it does come, we'd essentially know a few months in advance because Apple would have to file some paperwork with the FCC to get it approved. Since there's been no news yet, we likely have a bit of waiting to go.

There reportedly is a big Apple news event coming up this month soon... perhaps an announcement then?

dakineyj
02-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Everything I have seen suggests mid 08. Apple said SDK would be out in Feb which is getting close to the end. Put those together and you come up with the end of the year.

300ztt
02-21-2008, 07:52 PM
im also in the same boat there is a an apple meeting or some sort goin on feb 26.. my verizon contract is up march 17th i dont mind waiting till end of march beginig of april for a 3g iphone but i want one really really soon!!!

Aggreko
02-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, Im buying one by the end of march. I could go to the at&t store and buy one right now if I wanted but Im waiting for my tax return check, so I can put it in my account. Im also saving up for a MBP laptop. I cant wait to get it.

300ztt
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, Im buying one by the end of march. I could go to the at&t store and buy one right now if I wanted but Im waiting for my tax return check, so I can put it in my account. Im also saving up for a MBP laptop. I cant wait to get it.

but would you wait another 1-2 months for the 3g iphone???????

Rizzo
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I was reading the new issue of Mac|Life today and they said in it that it's not expected to come out any time soon. I wouldn't wait for it....

300ztt
02-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I was reading the new issue of Mac|Life today and they said in it that it's not expected to come out any time soon. I wouldn't wait for it....

link please

MattSharp
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I think best case scenario for the 3G phone is June. With the SDK coming out I don't see Apple taking attention away from that anytime soon.

My contract just expired as well, and I am not up for waiting. It could be another 6 months, and we have no idea what the price point will be (I wouldn't be surprised to see the $599 price point again, at least temporarily).

3G is supposed to be solid, but with all the people who have bought iPhones in the last few months, it must not be a dealbreaker.

More likely we will see the 16GB model drop in price in the next 90 days or so. That is the bigger question to as yourself about waiting.

Aggreko
02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, it all depends on how fast my tax return comes in as to when ill get it.

Rizzo
02-21-2008, 11:18 PM
link pleaseI read it in the magazine, not on their site.

airwalk331
02-22-2008, 03:54 AM
If I'm gonna pay $600 and have this thing which will double as my ipod for at least 2 years it better have 3G- I'm trying to stick it out.

hugo14
02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I got mine the day the 16GB came out. The internet is NOT that slow, it really is bearable. Go for it now!

300ztt
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM

I got mine the day the 16GB came out. The internet is NOT that slow, it really is bearable. Go for it now!

I THINK I MIGHT RIGHT AFTER THE FEB 26 REPORT JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE GUNNA SAY

RNDdave
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I was reading a post by another member possibly Schweb that made a really good point about the FCC - I think we'll know that the 3g iPhone is coming out some 6 or so months before it's available to buy as Apple will have to pass it over to the FCC to make sure it's safe or what-ever it is that these guys do.

I think Apple would have to release the info about the phone before or just as they pass it to the FCC so that the info is not released by someone else - just like they did when they launched the iPhone some 6'ish months before you could actually buy it.

airwalk331
02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Darn it. Well... hopefully they report on feb 26th that they are giving it to the FCC...

but would they really announce that a 3g phone is coming? I mean, we'll know that they've passed it to the fcc but if they officially announce it, no one would purchase an iphone now, right?

300ztt
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Darn it. Well... hopefully they report on feb 26th that they are giving it to the FCC...

but would they really announce that a 3g phone is coming? I mean, we'll know that they've passed it to the fcc but if they officially announce it, no one would purchase an iphone now, right?

thats true but then they will have to lower the price of the current iphone which will make ppl that want one to gewt them now.. and people that want the 3g to wait

RNDdave
02-22-2008, 04:56 PM

thats true but then they will have to lower the price of the current iphone which will make ppl that want one to gewt them now.. and people that want the 3g to wait

I don't know how accurate the FCC thing is but it kind of made sense when I read it.

I'd agree that there would be problems shifting the 2.5g iPhones but I guess some people wouldn't need or maybe want 3g - if for example they lived in an area with no 3g coverage - if Apple slashed the price on the 'old' iPhones - maybe that would be enough to keep them selling??

Kash
02-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Apple isn't going to announce to the world that it filed a petition with the FCC. The company is going to be as low key about it as possible, obviously to prevent people from not buying the current iPhone.

Then again, the majority of Apple fans don't really follow much in the way of Apple news and releases, they just go to the store and buy whatever is available unless an Apple Store rep tells them to hold off. So even if people found the FCC filing, it really wouldn't affect Apple that much in the way of sales of the current iPhone.

airwalk331
02-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I've been thinking about this more and more since my phone now is taking a dump everywhere... if the 26th comes around and the dont make any announcements besides the sdk I think I might just buy one instead of waiting...

300ztt
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
so nothing came out today....

Luckykelleyk
02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Well there have also been rumors that the prices of the current iphones (8gig and 16gig) are going to drop by 100 dollars sometime soon (according to gizmodo and engadget). I am waiting until my fiance's contract is up (end of august) so I hope by then there will be either a price drop, or some news of Iphone V2

300ztt
02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
wow august u have alot of time!!! i only have till march 17th i hope they have a price drop by then

airwalk331
02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
my contract is up now- I'm on a month to month.

Do you think there's any way Apple could just release the 3G iphone without us knowing about the FCC thing? Like maybe they pass the 3G board to the FCC or maybe they passed the 3G board to the FCC last year with the original iphone? They are Apple, anything could happen with them... right?

Luckykelleyk
02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
wow august u have alot of time!!! i only have till march 17th i hope they have a price drop by then

Yep, I guess that is about 6 months. Something better happen by then! lol

airwalk331
02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
You could still be waiting for another 1-2 months after that, at least for 3G... how long would it take the FCC to pass the 3G stuff for the iphone from the time they submit it??

Luckykelleyk
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
If there is no news of a 3g by august I will just get one then. Edge isn't that bad. six months is long enough to wait I think...

300ztt
02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
6 months till 3g is here... should i wait?

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/13121/14145/3g-apple-iphone-rumour-UBS.phtml

dwb356
02-28-2008, 08:34 PM
appleinsider and macrumors are both reporting that a 3G iPhone will be available around June-July

links:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/28/3g_iphone_to_launch_mid_year_with_infineon_chip_re port.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/28/iphone-sdk-in-beta-only-more-3g-iphone-predictions/

airwalk331
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
All of these tech analysts are saying that the 3G iPhone will be available by June/July but how could it be available then if Apple hasn't even passed it along to the FCC yet?

ibookmobile007
03-01-2008, 07:45 AM
appleinsider and macrumors are both reporting that a 3G iPhone will be available around June-July

links:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/28/3g_iphone_to_launch_mid_year_with_infineon_chip_re port.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/28/iphone-sdk-in-beta-only-more-3g-iphone-predictions/

June or July is the right timing.As people with current iphones if they are not satisfied are looking at other options(From a few business groups i deal with).Im not meaning everyone but the people i have encounters with are kind of fed up with the pro-longing of simple functions like A2DP and other minor upgrades that keep getting mysteriously looked over....Me personally, i have a 8GB ,so i can wait.There is no rush to go get a 16GB when the standard will be at least 16GB or i could be wrong. Standard could be 32GB and the highend could be 160GB....who knows??!!.....Either way ill wait

airwalk331
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
June or July is the right timing.As people with current iphones if they are not satisfied are looking at other options(From a few business groups i deal with).Im not meaning everyone but the people i have encounters with are kind of fed up with the pro-longing of simple functions like A2DP and other minor upgrades that keep getting mysteriously looked over....Me personally, i have a 8GB ,so i can wait.There is no rush to go get a 16GB when the standard will be at least 16GB or i could be wrong. Standard could be 32GB and the highend could be 160GB....who knows??!!.....Either way ill wait

That still doesn't answer my question. If Apple hasn't passed it along to the FCC yet there's no way it could come out in June or July...

cowasaki
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Remember when the current iPhone was announced so that they could get FCC approval. Anyone remember how long between the announcement and the release? I am sure it was about 6 months but I may well be wrong. Anyway I ordered my new 16Gb iPhone yesterday after waiting since about november for the 3G announcement and giving up! My Nokia 9500 is getting a bit long in the tooth so I had to forgo the chance of 3G!

Oh well, I am sure the 3G one will be out by the end of the contract !

airwalk331
03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
So why are these "tech analysts" predicting june/july 3G iPhones??

cowasaki
03-02-2008, 10:59 AM
So why are these "tech analysts" predicting june/july 3G iPhones??

No idea, I'm not even pretending to know I'm just pointing out that the release date of the original iPhone to the public etc was several months after the FCC compliance thing. I was clear that I couldn't remember how many months but I THINK it was about 6 (I don't think it was more, it may have been a bit less). Anyway I wanted the 3G phone myself but unfortunately my current contract is out and I cant wait however long it will be for the 3G version so I bought the edge version instead.

No doubt now I have bought it they will immediately release details of the 3G version, although I do have 14 days to send it back if they do!

airwalk331
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I just think it's interesting. Steve Jobbs announced the iPhone in Jan. and it was released in July. I hope it comes out soon. I need a new phone and don't want to wait anymore!!

MacNNJ
03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. My verizon contract is up (im on a month-to-month), half the buttons on the front of my phone don't work and my ipod just died yesterday. I'm trying to hold out for the 3G iPhone as well...

Anyone have any idea??My contract is up in May, but I don't know if I want to wait to pay for the high price that will come with it.

airwalk331
03-02-2008, 07:41 PM
My contract is up in May, but I don't know if I want to wait to pay for the high price that will come with it.

What high price? Either way, you'd be paying a high price- 5-600 for the 3G or an early termination fee to get an iphone when they discount it the $100 or whatever.

joaker
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
From this site (http://dougtoombs.com/2008/02/05/3g-iphone-release-date-no-one-knows/):
"According to the FCC website, it would appear that Apple filed their documents for the iPhone on March 9th, but were able to keep them suppressed until about May 17th about 43 days before the actual US launch on June 29th."

Assuming this is correct, it's conceivable those analysts could still be correct. ;D

airwalk331
03-03-2008, 01:44 AM
From this site (http://dougtoombs.com/2008/02/05/3g-iphone-release-date-no-one-knows/):
"According to the FCC website, it would appear that Apple filed their documents for the iPhone on March 9th, but were able to keep them suppressed until about May 17th about 43 days before the actual US launch on June 29th."

Assuming this is correct, it's conceivable those analysts could still be correct. ;D

Wow. So there's technically still hope for a 3G iphone/announcement thursday?!

Waterpolo820
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
yea i heard thursday too

MacNNJ
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
What high price? Either way, you'd be paying a high price- 5-600 for the 3G or an early termination fee to get an iphone when they discount it the $100 or whatever.Early termination fee? I would only change carriers when my contract is up. 5-600 is def way to high for me. :EEK:

airwalk331
03-03-2008, 08:52 PM
yea i heard thursday too

I was being EXTREMELY hopeful... but I doubt that would happen :(

zober1
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
oooh! I can't wait. That was 1 of a few stoppers for me not getting the orginal iphone.

airwalk331
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
3G iPhone or announcement thereof on thursday PLEASE!!!!!

Waterpolo820
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I was being EXTREMELY hopeful... but I doubt that would happen :(

I don't know where i read it or if i dreamt it, but i think that i read that apple is doing a meeting or announcement of some type on thursday...??? maybe it was my subconscious trying to fool me:[

But on a side note my there was a bulletin on my scottrade account that said that the 3G iPhone is supposed to come out in June :D

jonnyboyi
03-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I just came back from China with a 16gb iphone. I live in australia so 3g is becoming popular. If you speak to the right people in hong kong you can get your hands on a 3g iphone, for around 1000 aus. But the problem with the currently release it battery time, it's said that the 3g iphone currently is draining to much battery and the delay of release is expected for lat August, but knowing the rest of the world you might see it before that. But the diffrence between 2.5 and 3g i find i use my wi fi more then the edge network due to speed. Whats stopping you from going home or walking into starbucks and connecting to a decent wireless speed, i find it's alot faster then the 3g option..

airwalk331
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
I just came back from China with a 16gb iphone. I live in australia so 3g is becoming popular. If you speak to the right people in hong kong you can get your hands on a 3g iphone, for around 1000 aus. But the problem with the currently release it battery time, it's said that the 3g iphone currently is draining to much battery and the delay of release is expected for lat August, but knowing the rest of the world you might see it before that. But the diffrence between 2.5 and 3g i find i use my wi fi more then the edge network due to speed. Whats stopping you from going home or walking into starbucks and connecting to a decent wireless speed, i find it's alot faster then the 3g option..

1. Apple does not make a 3G iPhone nor can the current version of the iPhone be configured to run 3G.

2. Why get an iPhone if you just plan on using it in Starbucks, the office or at home? Why not just keep your laptop??

jonnyboyi
03-04-2008, 03:29 AM
1. Apple does not make a 3G iPhone nor can the current version of the iPhone be configured to run 3G.

2. Why get an iPhone if you just plan on using it in Starbucks, the office or at home? Why not just keep your laptop??

1. My phones not configured to run 3g, im saying you can get anything just gotta be willing to pay for it. The price i got told for a 3g was not worth getting a phone for aka $1,000 AUD. China is very much a place of opportunity when it comes to getting technology that is not released to the rest of the world. The general public aren't aware of the concept of production and stock, cause most people just buy it when they hear it. But theres alot of products that are already made but never released until the corporation believes the consumer is ready for it.

2. dont forget the features, of movies, ipod, direct sync to apple comps with itunes iphoto, address book and ical and the ability to make a phone call as well makes it a very useful thing to spend money on. Theres wi fi everywhere and if you can access it with something that fits in your pocket, makes it a lot easier then carting round a laptop everywhere. All im saying is in some cities you can walk 50 meters from one starbucks to another coffee shop or mc donalds offering the same free wireless access.

airwalk331
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
1. My phones not configured to run 3g, im saying you can get anything just gotta be willing to pay for it. The price i got told for a 3g was not worth getting a phone for aka $1,000 AUD. China is very much a place of opportunity when it comes to getting technology that is not released to the rest of the world. The general public aren't aware of the concept of production and stock, cause most people just buy it when they hear it. But theres alot of products that are already made but never released until the corporation believes the consumer is ready for it.

2. dont forget the features, of movies, ipod, direct sync to apple comps with itunes iphoto, address book and ical and the ability to make a phone call as well makes it a very useful thing to spend money on. Theres wi fi everywhere and if you can access it with something that fits in your pocket, makes it a lot easier then carting round a laptop everywhere. All im saying is in some cities you can walk 50 meters from one starbucks to another coffee shop or mc donalds offering the same free wireless access.

1. If you could get an iPhone with 3G it won't work in the US (at least not on Verizon) and if it doesn't work on Verizon you'd be going miles backwards if you were to get it working on T-Mobile or Sprint- they're just horrible.

2. Still why get an iPhone? Everything you're telling me about your laptop will already do and if you don't have a laptop why not get an ipod touch that is less expensive and has double the memory of an iphone? Why would you get the iPhone?

Sobe
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM

When did Jobs announce the iPhone and date again?

airwalk331
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
He announced the iPhone the January before it came out.

Waterpolo820
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Well I just read that Apple is planning to target the sales of the iPhone towards the Asia market, this year sometime,

so that makes you wonder if they are going to introduce the 3G before they target Asia??

airwalk331
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
If 3G is dominant in Asia then it would be HUGE for Apple to release the iPhone at the same time they release a 3G iphone.

ddrum1458
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
"If you could get an iPhone with 3G it won't work in the US (at least not on Verizon) and if it doesn't work on Verizon you'd be going miles backwards if you were to get it working on T-Mobile or Sprint- they're just horrible."

Oh sorry I thought jonnyboyi was in Australia, the world doesn't end at the borders of the US btw, no offense intended but just don't fall into the stereotypical view that Americans don't know anything about the world outside their borders.:Evil:

airwalk331
03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
How about this: if you can get an iPhone with 3G- it's not an iphone.

300ztt
03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
agreed

MacNNJ
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
My contract is up in May, but I don't know if I want to wait to pay for the high price that will come with it.
I am so bummed. I just found out that my contract with Verizon Wireless is actually up in Spetember not May (per my online account information). But I asked the manager at a Verizon store and that's what he told me. I think he was telling me I could upgrade a new phone in May, since I am on the 2 yr contract and they allow you to upgrade phones 4 months before your 2 year contract is up (2 months with a 1 year contract).

Is there any other way to opt out? I recall reading somewhere that Verizon changed the text messaging plan and it is actually a void to any current contracts. Any thoughts?

I still will probably wait until September when iPhone releases the new (3G?) version.