My wife can't access important site

Reaction score
My wife is taking a class and the teacher's website won't let her access it. Camino won't navigate to the site at all. Safari opens the site and a drop down warning window comes on the screen telling us that "selected views require Internet Explorer 5 or higher." I called AppleCare and they could not help. I know Microsoft no longer offers downloads of IE for Macs, and OS 10.5 does not support IE. We have accessed other homepages of other teachers at the same college thru our Mac, but the one teachers site is a problem. Does any out there have any thoughts?

Squid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Have you given FireFox a shot? This happened to me one in an online class where they said you had to use IE. However, I was able to use FireFox with no problems. Not saying that will be the case for your wife, but it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I would also suggest Firefox, and take a look at the User Agent addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59). Basically if Firefox doesn't work by itself, you can install the addon which will allow you to tell Firefox to tell websites that it is Internet Explorer. Often that's enough to get on most sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Tell your teacher to learn how to code a real web site...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
One way .You could try Tinker tool http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

download it and go to the safari pane and turn on Debug mode
Launch safari and you get an extra menu in the menu bar click on it and chose User agent you will then get a choice of browsers.
Then try your wifes site.

I use this way to access a site my son has to use at school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try Firefox and then what Kilted1 said

The User Agent you need to select is Windows MSIE 6.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Does the site use ActiveX controls? If so, you simply can't view it from a Mac, as this is proprietary Windows only junk. I regularly use one very important site that has the same problem. Have to keep Windows around just for that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are really desperate and can't get it to run then you could try installing IE4OSX http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

What about IE5 for Mac. It was out there for a while. I have been hunting around to see if I could find a place where you could still download it, but no luck so far.

Does anyone know where you can still download IE5 :mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
What about IE5 for Mac. It was out there for a while. I have been hunting around to see if I could find a place where you could still download it, but no luck so far.

Does anyone know where you can still download IE5 :mac?

IE4OSX http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/
is actually NOT IE4...

IE FOR MacOS X not IE4 Mac OS X
It will allow you to act as IE4,5,6 or 7.

OP
S
Reaction score
Tinkertool to the rescue!!!!! Thank you to all who responded. Firefox did not work. The webmaster at the college where the site is hosted said we were basically out of luck. Kilted1, thanks for the rescue. I had a Mac years ago. Loved it. Went over to Windows because of my work, and now I'm back on the attack with my new Mac.

Thanks again. Ah it is nice... the kindness of strangers.

Squid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Tinkertool to the rescue!!!!! Thank you to all who responded. Firefox did not work. The webmaster at the college where the site is hosted said we were basically out of luck. Kilted1, thanks for the rescue. I had a Mac years ago. Loved it. Went over to Windows because of my work, and now I'm back on the attack with my new Mac.

Squid

So did your wife gain access to the site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Squid
I'm so pleased it worked for you . Thank-you for the kind PM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recalled this old post. The link from it still leads to IE.

Thanks Brown Study! The link worked and I managed to get the browser.

Now, Microsoft set to work immediately. I no sooner downloaded IE5 and then tried to book mark the download site then Safari crashed! Who would think that an MS app that I haven't even installed yet could reach out and crash Safari! :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the IE5 :mac, but it does not support ActiveX controls. Too bad!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.