Is Apple TV take 2 a good media extender?

Reaction score
As the title says, Is Apple TV take 2 a good media extender for HD file formats like Divx and MKV? I know you can hack it.... What homebrew goodness is available for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can't discuss hacking or home brew on this forum. Yes Apple TV take 2 supports HD and yes it is designed to play the contents of you Itunes Library. That would seem to qualify it as a media extender that supports HD.

OP
D
Reaction score
You can't discuss hacking or home brew on this forum. Yes Apple TV take 2 supports HD and yes it is designed to play the contents of you Itunes Library. That would seem to qualify it as a media extender that supports HD.
O, sorry I didn't realize homebrew was the same as piracy... I'll just end my inquiry here.

Reaction score

Why can't he or anyone else talk about taking hardware that they have purchased and toying around with, or hacking it, or home brew, or what ever you want to call it. How is it illegal in anyway to talk about taking a piece of hardware and doing anything you want with it.

Could someone explain to me how and why this thread and his question is not allowed on this forum? He is not asking how to steal movies or make illegal copies of software or where he can download pirated movies he is only talking about modifying something he owns, something car owners have done for years.
:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
It's not illegal to talk about it, but if it's talking about illegal activities, or anything that breaks the EULA of a product, it isn't allowed. It's just a forum rule, doesn't mean you're breaking the law talking about it.

Reaction score
So does the Apple TV have some sort of EULA that says you can't modify this product? I understand that if you modify it is could void your warranty which make sense. I also know that Steve Jobs is a control freak so I guess I could see him putting that in there, but if it were legal for him to do that, then I am sure the car industry would love to have a talk with his attorneys so that they could create a EULA for their cars so you could only use their parts with their automobiles and not third party parts.

I guess, my problem is that the thought that Apple exerts so much control on our right to free speech that somehow people are afraid that discussing mods to their Apple TV or their MAC or anything they buy could some how constitute an illegal activity and hence not be allowed on this board.

What am I missing, I contend this is the perfect spot for people to discuss how they have tricked out their Apple TV's to make it even more appealing to more people and hence selling more Apple TV's.

I have read the forum rules and I see where it says you can't post anything that is counter to any EULA, but does Apple really have a EULA that states that you can not crack your Apple TV open or add third party apps? I understand they have a warranty which can be voided if you do such a thing, but I seriously doubt they could legally argue that modifying your hardware is against something in a EULA.

Is there a moderator on this forum that could clear this up? Because I am on the verge of possible buying an Apple TV (if some of my questions ever get answered :) ) and though I doubt I would ever "hack" it I would be interested to see what is available out there and what others have done to their boxes, maybe there is a compelling mod out there that I would want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
you guys should consider doing a google search for, i dont know, apple tv hacks. that way its not discussed here and all thoughts and comments on why this would be a good place to discuss hacks/mods can cease (even though it would be a great place).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I have read the forum rules and I see where it says you can't post anything that is counter to any EULA, but does Apple really have a EULA that states that you can not crack your Apple TV open or add third party apps? I understand they have a warranty which can be voided if you do such a thing, but I seriously doubt they could legally argue that modifying your hardware is against something in a EULA.
EULA only exists for software. There's no such thing as a hardware EULA. In most cases for Apple products, violating a EULA is not illegal, it just breaks the contract so they aren't liable for damages resulting from it.

Reaction score
you guys should consider doing a google search for, i dont know, apple tv hacks. that way its not discussed here and all thoughts and comments on why this would be a good place to discuss hacks/mods can cease (even though it would be a great place).

Good point. Heck I don't even have an Apple TV yet, I guess I get a little bothered when a site I rely on for great information and in sight begins to censor its self and the exchange of ideas and information is lost (It is not like we are wanting to discuss the best ways to cultivate marijuana or something).

Well I have beat this dead horse for long enough. I respectfully disagree with the notion that we can not discuss Apple TV hacks (unless the moderator of the forum tells me otherwise, then I will defer to his lead). I also respectfully agree that a quick google will get the original poster all the information he needs.
:D

Reaction score
I'm back beating this dead horse again

EULA only exists for software. There's no such thing as a hardware EULA. In most cases for Apple products, violating a EULA is not illegal, it just breaks the contract so they aren't liable for damages resulting from it.

I know I said I would drop this, but Dimitri posted this right when I posted my response.

So, if this is the case that Hardware does not have EULA's, which makes sense. Then it is ok, to discuss Apple TV hacks on this forums because from what I can read in the forum rules I don't see how such a discussion is not allowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
So, if this is the case that Hardware does not have EULA's, which makes sense. Then it is ok, to discuss Apple TV hacks on this forums because from what I can read in the forum rules I don't see how such a discussion is not allowed.
Well, while the EULAs may not pertain to the hardware itself, it does pertain to the software part of hardware. And Apple TV does have a software component to it that's protected by an EULA. For a fun read, check out Apple TV's EULA:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/appletv.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Here you go rdean, in case reading a EULA is a bit difficult:

(c) Apple is not obligated to provide any warranty, maintenance, technical or other support for the resultant modified Apple Software or its use on Apple-labeled devices.

(d) Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, or with respect to an Open-Sourced Component and the applicable license governing its use, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple SoUpdates, or any part thereof. Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of Apple and its licensors of the Apple Software and Apple Software Updates.

Though violating an EULA is not breaking any laws, discussion of things that violate EULAs is against forum rules.

Reaction score
Here you go rdean, in case reading a EULA is a bit difficult:

Though violating an EULA is not breaking any laws, discussion of things that violate EULAs is against forum rules.

Ok, Ok, Ok. Thanks Kash and Dimitri for having this discussion. I definitely see your point.

No discussion on Apple TV hacks are allowed on this forums! :Smirk:

(but inside I fell like this :Grimmace: )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.