Mail now requiring once stored passwords to be put in.

Reaction score
I was exploring utilities and I came across the keychain program that I had a few clicks in and I think it's messed up my mail settings - it doesn't seem to remember the passwords I had stored for my email accounts. I can't find the mail program in Keychain Preferences.

When I wish to send an email in Mail - it also asks me for my password again, and even though I do click "remember this in my keychain" - it continues to ask me.

I go into the account settings and store the password there, but that doesn't work.

Any advice, please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can try running Keychain First Aid from the menu of Keychain.

Of course, we don't have a clue what "few clicks" those were.

OP
N
Reaction score
I ran First Aid - it said no problems were found.

All I remember is, within Keychain Access, I double clicked one of the mail server listings and it came up with a box asking for a password which I didn't know was my admin password - or the actual password....

I've just tried to click the password box in the details for my hotmail.com item in keychain - and, when I click the "show password" tick box - a dialogue box comes up saying Access is restricted. However, when I look at the access control - it says "Access is not restricted". Don't know if this has anything to do with anything....

Very strange...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Was waiting for some other responses that may have better ideas.

Without them, my guess is something is corrupted. I would probably try going into Keychain and deleting the listings for your mail servers. Go back into Mail and try the save to Keychain function again.

If still doesn't work, would probably delete them from Keychain again and delete the accounts from Mail and just start all over. Probably faster than all the searching around at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.