Legal rights to a domain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Domain Name "Stealing"

There is a domain i have had my eyes on for YEARS! and it is set to expire in 14 days. I dont want to steal is as such, as that is well.... illegal, i would like some advice on the best way of securing if, for example he leaves it til after xmas to renew?

Thanks again

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
If you look up whois you can usually get the info. I would email that person and ask them if they plan on renewing the name.

Also, how long has this name been up and running? Can you tell if it has recent updates? Does it look like it's been neglected?

Or try an alternative name by adding a dash or an underscore to the name?

Just some thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I know it probably isn't the nicest thing to do, but if it expires it's fair game. I would buy it when it expires, because if you don't somebody will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just buy it when it expires like PunkRockTuba says

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
so come the date its set to expire i can buy it? do they not have 14 days or something like that in which they can renew?

MACyMouse - sent them an email - heard nothing. the domain has been registered for 10 years but doesn't look like its been used for anything although last update was earlier this year

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi eric,

thanks for the link. have you ever used the website before? how reliable are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Hi eric,

thanks for the link. have you ever used the website before? how reliable are they?

I have never used GoDaddy before but they are a highly respected company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I used to use GoDaddy... didn't care for them too much although they've changed quite a bit and have added a lot more features.

I really find their website to FULL... just can't find anything that easily.. I'd shop around for hosting, before going to GoDaddy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I use godaddy to buy domains but not hosting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really find their website to FULL... just can't find anything that easily.. I'd shop around for hosting, before going to GoDaddy...

I agree about that full part. We're not really talking about hosting though right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I'd buy it right away if I were you, chances are, the register will be away from the comp while it expires, i'd drop the 18 bucks at go daddy to see if they can snag it.

I've been thinking about doing that with www.knoxware.com, some chode bought the domain out from under us and doesn't use it. The thing hasn't been updated in years, it's set to expire in a couple years, i tried e-mailing them and they don't respond. It really sucks when some one takes what's rightfully yours, as soon as I can get a chance at that domain it'll be mine!

So, I'd say, go for it!!!

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have hosting with dreamhost. so will buy the domain and just transfer it. Should i go for the basic "back-order" at $18.99 or do some of the other options too like private etc etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have hosting with dreamhost. so will buy the domain and just transfer it. Should i go for the basic "back-order" at $18.99 or do some of the other options too like private etc etc?

I would just get the 18.99 one unless you need any of the other features in the other packages.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds good to me! i just don't want the owner to know that someone is trying to get hold of one of his domains and re-new it. or would he not know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds good to me! i just don't want the owner to know that someone is trying to get hold of one of his domains and re-new it. or would he not know?

I don't know how he would know. All Godaddy does it register the domain as soon as it expires.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
The only way he / she would really know is when payment time comes. They usually send an e-mail before the payment is due, if they don't act on it in time then up for sale it goes, sometimes there is just a suspension, but if some one else is waiting in line for it, then it's usually fair game.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah ok, thanks eric and ghost. i thought godaddy might pre register or something. i am going to order it tonight and hope for the best

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone who has used godaddy before kindly explain how godaddy works? as its the 22nd and the domain name has expired but i dont own it yet, will it take a few days?

thanks

LWC

Reaction score
1st you need to know which company it is currently registered through.
Check that companies site to find out how long a grace period they give to
expired Domain Names.
They may offer 5 days or 30 days or none.
This will give you an idea when it will become available for GoDaddy to register it for you.
Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.