Printing from 10.5 to XP

Reaction score
Just bought my first mac. iMac G5. installed airport extreme and loaded leopard with latest updates.

I have 3 computers. 2 Xp's (one is mine and the other is the wife's) and the Mac all hooked up via linksys gateway.

I have 2 printers, a Canon ip1800 and Canon Pro 9000.

My Xp computer is hardwired to the gateway via ethernet and has the Canon Pro 9000 hooked via USB.

My wife's Xp computer is wireless to the gateway and has the Canon ip1800 hooked via USB.

The Mac is wireless with nothing attached.

All machines are shared, and both printers are shared.
Both Xp computers can see both printers and are working fine.

The Mac can see the workgroup/mshome/ and both computers, sometimes the ip1800 and the pro 9000 printer

i have never gotten the mac to print anything. i have tried the latest gutenprint software, tried to install via smb://192.168.0.10/canon pro 9000
and smb://192.168.0.13/canon p1800 but nothing works
tried doing the windows add printer option and the pro 9000 drivers are listed but don't work and the ip1800 isn't listed at all

have also tried under ip, just the 192.168.0.10/canon pro 9000
and 192.168.0.13/canon p1800 and nothing works

it's frustraing that both xp's will see the printers, one wired and one wireless, but the mac doesn't print from either one. i have also went to canon's website and on the mac downloaded both the pro 9000's drivers and installed via cd-rom, and for the ip1800's drivers from the website.

how can i install both the pro9000 and the ip1800 to the mac and print from the mac, to my wife's and my computers wirelessly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Ideally you'd get one, if not two of these.

Link

Printer sharing can work. It does take some trial and error,...mostly error. Two of the biggest hurdles are drivers and queue type. Almost all of my success has come from the use of post script drivers. Post script is a language that both Mac and XP can deal with. You'll notice with PC printing there is usually three choices of drivers. PCL5e, PCL6 and PS. If there is a Mac PS driver that will greatly improve your chances. Unfortunately there isn't always one provided so we look to open source.

Second is Queue. You'll be printing to a Windows shared printer. Not IP. You can try installing Bonjour for Windows to get the printer to show up in the Default windows for printing.

I know you don't want to go out and spend a few $$$ on print servers, but sanity can be cost effective.

Either way, good luck.

OP
B
Reaction score
is there another way to get the mac to print to the xp computers without getting a print server?

i know you mentioned bonjour for windows, i thought that was if the printers were connected to the mac, for the windows computers to see the printers on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
is there another way to get the mac to print to the xp computers without getting a print server?

i know you mentioned bonjour for windows, i thought that was if the printers were connected to the mac, for the windows computers to see the printers on the mac?

Try these:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8671.html
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1605/setup_mac_os_x_host_to_print_to_windows_shared_printer
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070916131935539

OP
B
Reaction score
Try these:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8671.html
To add a printer shared by a Windows computer via SMB/CIFS

Choose File > Print, and then choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu. Done

Click Windows in the toolbar of the dialog that appears.
Done

Select the printer from the browser.
Done
If prompted, enter the user name and password for the printer.
Done

Choose the item appropriate for your printer from the Print Using pop-up menu.

Be sure to choose the correct printer model for the printer you’re using. For more information, see the documentation that came with the printer. If you have an HP PCL compatible printer that’s not listed, choose the printer model that most closely matches your printer. See the link below for a list of printers and the models they most closely resemble. (You may need to scroll down to see the table.)

Canon Pro 9000 is listed, but still acts like it's trying to print via usb because nothing happens.
Canon ip1800 isn't listed at all.

Click Choose.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1605/setup_mac_os_x_host_to_print_to_windows_shared_printer
this one is for 10.4 and i can't find the same options listed, windows printing?
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070916131935539
can't find samba option

I'm at a loss. When I get back home, I'll try again to disable all security and see if anything will change. With the money i spent on the pro 9000, i don't want to have to buy print servers, and the layout of the room, hooking everything up to the mac and using bonjour might work, but until i get used to the mac, the pc's are still primary computers and the mac is secondary for time being.

OP
B
Reaction score
still no go. have turned off all internet security, anti-virus, and firewalls. the closest i have been to print, don't even remember what i did, was the light on the printer on my wife's computer blinked, but no print. that was on the 1800. on the pro 9000 on my computer, it won't do anything.

looked into getting a print server, but the one i'm interested in was the belkin because of the 2 usb ports, so i could hook up both printers. only problem, is leopard isn't supported, so i'm afraid i would be in the same boat with nothing working.

is it not possible to print from leopard to a usb printer that is shared and connected to xp?

Reaction score
still no go. have turned off all internet security, anti-virus, and firewalls. the closest i have been to print, don't even remember what i did, was the light on the printer on my wife's computer blinked, but no print. that was on the 1800. on the pro 9000 on my computer, it won't do anything.

looked into getting a print server, but the one i'm interested in was the belkin because of the 2 usb ports, so i could hook up both printers. only problem, is leopard isn't supported, so i'm afraid i would be in the same boat with nothing working.

is it not possible to print from leopard to a usb printer that is shared and connected to xp?

It is definitely possible to print to a usb printer connected to an XP machine. I have a Canon Pixma iP4200 that I use this way.

Have you tried connecting either printer directly to the Mac to see if they work when connected via USB to the Mac?

I use Gutenprint http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

I'm not sure if your printers are supported but I would try it.

Reaction score

Can't you just set the XP machines printer up for print sharing? I did it at my parents house no probs and wirelessly printed from my mac to a serial port printer on an Win 2K machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.