• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

After saving up my pennies, I'm getting a tattoo...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Since 10th grade, I've saved 2 dollars from every paycheck I've gotten, plus 20 from each birthday, and in two months time, I'm going to get myself a tattoo.

Now, I wouldn't be posting this on a Mac forum unless it was of the obvious, ubiquitous Apple logo.

I know that it's not an uncommon thing anymore for people to get Apple tattoos, and I've wanted that logo tattooed on me since my cousin got her classic rainbow Apple tattoo back in 1997.

I'm on the fence between getting the rainbow or just the black logo, and I'm asking if anyone has any tattoo experience, which one will look better longer?

I've heard that colors start to look shoddy after a few years, and that blacks just get grey, and I'm kinda hoping for the longevity factor. My cousin's rainbow logo has held it's color really well for 10 years now, so it may be possibly that I'm just worrying, but if any of you have any long term tattoo experience, your input would be appreciated a lot, mostly on the color fading issue.

And I know there will be some of you that will probably bust my chops about getting an Apple tattoo, but I've wanted it for a long time, and I'm set on getting the apple logo.

I just wonder how the color is going to hold up through the years, that's all I'm asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Depending on where you get the tattoo can affect how long the color will last. Another factor is how much sun it will be exposed to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Keep in mind you can always get it touched up if it starts to fade over time. I don't know if I would ever get a corporate logo for a tattoo, but I guess it's not as bad as someone getting a girlfriend's name tattooed. ;)

My avatar is my tattoo, and of course the colors are never as vibrant as they are on paper, but I'm happy with it. As long as you take really good care of it initially (go to a good, clean, approved tattoo parlor and follow the care instructions well), it'll improve the overall longevity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would it have to be the Apple logo for you to mention it here?
There are a few threads about tattoos here already. I think one of the most recent can be found here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60249&highlight=tattoo

It didn't have to be of the Apple logo. I just would feel silly if it were anything else and I was asking on a Mac forum. I see you have some pretty nice ink yourself.

Depending on where you get the tattoo can affect how long the color will last. Another factor is how much sun it will be exposed to.

Well, I'm getting it on the upper right area of my chest, my pec-ish area. Gonna be about the size of the bottom of a pop can, maybe a little bigger, but not huge. Probably won't see a whole lot of sun, because I don't go shirtless outside very much, and in the summer, I rarely go without a shirt unless I'm swimming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
As long as you take care of the tattoo, it will look fine for a long time. Meaning, if you are out in the sun for a long time, throw some sunscreen on it.

The biggest thing in making your tattoo look great for a long time is the healing, that is what can make it or break it. Just make sure you follow all instructions the artist gives you, and if you have a question about healing, ask. They've been around a lot of tattoos, they know what to do.

Now as to get the color or the black, if it were me I would get the black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Also, the techniques that go into making the colors has improved a lot over the years and so tattoos done now days stand a much better chance of holding their color then tattoos done years ago.

PRT Is right, healing can really make a difference on the finished article, take care of it and it will look great for years to come :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
dude the black logo will be bad ***. i am thinking of getting one too =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I hadn't thought of this before. I've been wanting a tattoo for a while but have yet to find one I like. This is a definite possibility!

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw a really nice one of the classic logo fading into the grey glass logo, which looked really sweet. Might try and mock that one up, but the rainbow one just sticks out a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
congrats on deciding to get your first ink! Be warned that it can become addicting. Once you get that first piece you are gonna want more. As for wether to get the black or colored logo I would say get the one you like the most. Both will probably last the same amount of time with proper care.

Reaction score
Just make sure you really want one, i think i spent about 6 months deciding whether or not i wanted to get a tat, i ended up getting one.

Their right it is addictive, i'm trying to decide what new tat to get, my first one cost me £75 (GBP) and the one i'm looking at now (custom designed) is going to cost me £500 (gbp), but i love it when people ask to see my tat, especially the girls up the clubs.

Good times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
From others' experiences, you have to go to a good place to get it done right the first time. My tattoo is small. I went to place that charged 2x what I was told others would charge. I'm glad I did. I've had it a year and it's still real dark. My sister had hers six months and already had it re-colored.
Just remember, you're going to have it for the rest of your life. In 40 years, will you want 2" Apple logo on your chest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey don't forget to post a pic for us to see when you get it. =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It didn't have to be of the Apple logo. I just would feel silly if it were anything else and I was asking on a Mac forum.

Dude, stop making sense. You're going to confuse WAY too many people here with that kind of crazy talk....

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Wondering, does anyone know anything about tattoos on fingers? I want to get a ring tattooed but I've heard some parlours don't do it. Just interested as to why...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey :)

I know a lot of studios in this area won't tattoo your hands or neck/face as its still seen to be a little offensive.
Not so many years ago, tattoos on the hands neck etc showed you to be a bit of a trouble maker (we know the majority wasn't but still) and so, tattooists tried to distance them selves from this stereotypical view.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess going to a place with big beefy guys covered in tattoos would be your best place. or try explaining the reason why you would like the ring tattoo'd. I know places do do it because Professional Wrestlers have them for example. "/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I think you should go to a shop you like and are comfortable with, if the artist wont tattoo a ring on your finger chances are they will tell you why. If not, then ask. Then if you still want it ask around and find a good shop that will do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.