Will Time Capsule be partition-able?

Reaction score
This is just something which came to mind as a Mac user. As a Mac user who also has the option to partition my internal hard drive to put Windows or other operating system software on it I also looked into the option of using Disk Utility to partition an external hard drive. This is also possible.

With the new idea of wirelessly backing up my information to Time Capsule it also brings on this question: Will the Time Capsule hard drive be able to be partitioned like a normal external HD (since the hard drive isn't directly plugged into your computer)? Will Disk Utility have that ability when the time comes?

I don't think Apple has addressed this question directly, but I hope one of you would be able to.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Seeing as how the product has yet to be released, I think it's kind of hard to say at this point. We'll know better by the end of the month.

I can tell you this - many NAS devices (which is essentially what the Time Capsule acts like) are able to have multiple "shares", which essentially behave as partitions.

Reaction score
I was wondering if you'll be able to use time capsule for time machine and as an external hard drive for storage (music, movies etc.)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was wondering if you'll be able to use time capsule for time machine and as an external hard drive for storage (music, movies etc.)?

Asked and answered above. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.