noise from Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Hi all.
Put together a small studio here. In getting things up, there's a noise that comes through the monitors, accually 3 at different times. none, less, greater. hum, jacobs ladder sound, clicks.
Currently there's 3 things in the chain, mac pro, 003 digidesign rack,jbl active monitor speakers.

Everything is fed from a furman balanced (iso) transformer....

Mac > firewire to 003> spidf to jbl's.

The sound seems to mimick or be in harmony with the computers hard drive and or fan.

Checked for bundle , parallel wires, pull plugs,, etc....

I feel it's from the mac. But?

Has any one run into this problem and fixed it.

Is it a known issue.

thanks in advance for any advice.....Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
This doesn't really help you but I'm getting my 003 in the mail tomorrow for my macbook pro. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble.
Do you have a cell phone or any other wireless devices around? That can cause issues sometimes... For example.. If I'm playing guitar with a cell phone in my pocket it will create a hum and click. I'm sure you are aware but I thought I'd bring it up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am trying to understand your post correctly. You hear HD or fan noises through your JBL speakers?
The fans on my Pro run silently. I use the standard audio out to my home theatre setup and I've never heard any feedback or anything like you describe.
Do you a pair of different speakers you can test?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.