iPhone can't connect to AirPort Extreme using encryption?

Reaction score
iPhone can't connect to AirPort Extreme using encryption? ***!?

My four year old Netgear connects seamlessly with the iPhone using WEP, but my brand new Airport Extreme 802.11n won't connect unless security is turned off! *** is that? Do I really have to leave security open to get my iPhone to talk to this device?

Has anyone ever successfully been able to connect an iPhone with an Airport Extreme with encryption turned on?

Reaction score
Have you tried switching encryption from WEP to WPA or WPA2? Some hardware specifically needs to use WPA or WPA2, especially if you did an upgrade on the iPhone.

My PS3 will no longer use WEP encryption, after a system upgrade, even though the option for it is still there in the newtwork setup. Everything must be WPA or WPA2.

WEP encryption in a joke, and that is why most hardware vendors and forcing the newer protocols on everyone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're using WEP, you basically are using no encryption.

I can't really help more than that as I have not touched WEP in at least 4-5 years or so now. We do see a lot of posts on "connection issues" that are resolved by simply moving to WPA from WEP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Like the poster above said, switch to WPA. My 3GS connects to my AE just fine using WPA.

C

chas_m

iPhone can't connect to AirPort Extreme using encryption? ***!?

As shown above, this is not true. It's your use of the broken and outmoded WEP that is the problem.

My iPhone (and everyone else here who owns one) connects to a WPA encrypted network just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My MBP and 3g iP connect fine on my AEBS using WPA2 and radio mode set to 802.11n
with b/g compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
I am also using WPA2 with no problems on an older 3G

Reaction score
Firmware upgrade kills the iPhone

Just got the Airport Extreme today. Plugged it in and worked fine. Then I made the mistake of upgrading the Firmware. All the iPhones in my house stopped working. 2 iPhone4's and 1 iPhone 4S quit working after the Firmware upgrade. Was using WPA encryption before and after, so not an encryption issue. iPhone still connects to my work network so my guess is they don't use Airport Extreme there.

Go figure, my iPhone will work with other brands of routers, but Apple manages to screw up their own products when in testing with their own products before deploying the crappy Firmware upgrade would have been extremely easy.

Just going back to my LinkSys. It works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.