Internet but NO internet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i have got a macbook. yesterday i was in the center of my town in perugia and i noticed tat there was free wireless but i could get in the network but internet didn't work. then i went to a caffe which had free internet too.. n i could use the net. Could anyone be kind enough to give a some cool advice..?

Grazie!!

ciaoz :D

Reaction score
Sometimes if your Mac is using a static IP you won't be able to connect to other WAN's. Especially if your IP is in use or if the Gateway and/or Subnet is different then what your Mac is configured for.

Check the settings. Ensure the Cafe is using DHCP (otherwise get an IP, or at minimal know by sniffing) and restart en1. Make sure the gateway and DNS IP addresses from your LAN aren't influencing your attempt to connect to the Cafe's LAN. This is almost a 100% denial... Even if your connected via WiFi- you still won't get Internet access.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
Hey jnorris.
Thanks for your reply. Since i'm kinnda blur in this techical stuff. i haven't really got the idea to solve my problemo. what does ''restart en1'' mean? and if this steps don't work, what could i do? i see people with PC's who just on the wireless and they easily use the internet.. i bet it's gotta be easy with a mac too.. XD

grazie..

ciaoz

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey jnorris.
Thanks for your reply. Since i'm kinnda blur in this techical stuff. i haven't really got the idea to solve my problemo. what does ''restart en1'' mean? and if this steps don't work, what could i do? i see people with PC's who just on the wireless and they easily use the internet.. i bet it's gotta be easy with a mac too.. XD

grazie..

ciaoz

It's likely the access point you're trying to connect to is using MAC filtering, which would inhibit your ability to obtain an IP address. Do you have explicit permission to use that wireless access point, or did you just happen upon it?

Reaction score
If you are running Mac OS 10.5.2, it may be broken wireless due to the update. After the update, my Mac would connect to the wireless, even get an IP, but you could not initiate any network traffic at all.

Please note that it only suffers this effect with Wireless N based access points.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

i was just in the center of my city ad noticed a network without a password.. so i clicked it to get into the network but i couldn't use the net.. then i went to a cafe got the password but could use the net too.. while the other day i saw a gerl with a macbook in tat caffe using the net.

i just updated my mac to MAC OS 105.2.. is tat a problem for using wireless?

thankss

ciaoz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
i fixed my problems by taking it off automatic and selecting ch 11 no
break in wireless in a week.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i fixed my problems by taking it off automatic and selecting ch 11 no
break in wireless in a week.

Just be careful, because 11 is the default setting for a lot of routers.

Reaction score
If you are running Mac OS 10.5.2, it may be broken wireless due to the update. After the update, my Mac would connect to the wireless, even get an IP, but you could not initiate any network traffic at all.

Please note that it only suffers this effect with Wireless N based access points.

hi dean...THIS is my exact problem. i just updated to 10.5.2 and now i can't use my home network.

is there a fix to this? last night i spent almost 4 hours talking to my internet provider, router company and then apple themselves. i was left with nothing but frustration.

currently on neighbors network. can't get onto my home dlink!

Reaction score
hi dean...THIS is my exact problem. i just updated to 10.5.2 and now i can't use my home network.

is there a fix to this? last night i spent almost 4 hours talking to my internet provider, router company and then apple themselves. i was left with nothing but frustration.

currently on neighbors network. can't get onto my home dlink!

my brother updated to 10.5.2 and after that the airport signal kept dropping with my linksys WRT54g router. so i actually thought it was the router so i went out and bought the new Netgear Duo band WNDR3300 router. The new netgear has been a nightmare with both my powerbook g4 and my bro's macbook pro.

like questioned above, is there anyway to fix the 10.5.2 update problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.