Anyone buy Time Capsule? Impressions?

Reaction score
Hello:

Just curious if anyone has purchased time capsule? If so, what is your first impression? I know it's not a complicated product, but interested in some reviews :Smirk:

Thx,

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I didnt think it was available yet, but it seems it is.

I want Time Capsule. I've been looking for a wireless hard drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not available yet. Still scheduled to ship sometime this month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Yep-Sir! Still for pre-order. I think it's pretty reasonably priced compared to some of the other NAS devices with the same storage space and capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
my apple store already has it in store. For purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB
I had one but returned it and got an Airport Extreme instead. I was loosing connection all the time and the range was poor with the Time Capsule. Plus it would run very hot since the power supply was built in unlike the AirPort Extreme.

Reaction score
I had one but returned it and got an Airport Extreme instead. I was loosing connection all the time and the range was poor with the Time Capsule. Plus it would run very hot since the power supply was built in unlike the AirPort Extreme.

Wow, that doesnt sound very good. Were you able to "hack" the Airport Extreme to use an external USB drive on the USB port? What is the benefit of an Airport Extreme vs a Netgear or Linksys router?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Were you able to "hack" the Airport Extreme to use an external USB drive on the USB port? What is the benefit of an Airport Extreme vs a Netgear or Linksys router?

You can use an external USB drive on the USB port, you just can't backup to it with Time Machine. Interestingly, you can back up wirelessly to an external drive on another computer though. I've seen details to this solution at sites like lifehacker.com.

There isn't a technical benefit over another 802.11n router. Although the two brands you name haven't been well-supported on Mac. D-link and Belkin play better. Read cwa107's sticky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.