10 million iPhones? in a year?

Reaction score
I see Apple as a company that sets challenging yet achievable goals for themselves.

The one goal that they've set for the iPhone is to sell 10 million iPhones in its first year. When I first heard this I wasn't sure what to think.

Now, knowing that apple has only sold around half (I'm pretty sure) it doesn't seem at all like they'll make that.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
they still have 5 more months.. I don't think they'll do it, but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
They won't make that goal. (which I thought Steve set at 8 million at one of the Apple conferences) Probably around a million of those 5 million were in the first month or less of release when everyone was crazy to buy one. I don't know what they're selling rate been since, but I know it hasn't been the 1 million per month they would need to make their goal. I thought it was too ambitious when he said it back then. I'm sure it's a contributing factor to Apple's stock falling like a rock.

But like PBG4 said, you never know. The memory boost won't do it alone It'll take some killer 3rd party apps to boost it enough, and those probably won't even be out for a couple of months after the SDK release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think they would have achieved it if not for their difficulties in securing their exclusive contracts in markets like China. There's still a LOT of international sales waiting to be made.

OP
A
Reaction score
Do you think Apple's going to put the 3G out before the 1-year mark to help boost the sales?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wasn't the goal 10 million by the end of 2008? That seems to be a far more realistic goal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Or perhaps, it was 10 million iPhones IN 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
They have to make the 10 million mark by the end of 2008, which i really believe can be done if a 3G iphone arises.And maybe the addition of the A2DP to the current models via firmware upgrade.Who knows...only time will tell, all we can do is speculate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking sales might increase once the SDK is released as it would now appeal to those who were hesitant before because of a lack of apps. Plus, it's only been a little over sevon months since the iPhone was released. A lot of people's contracts with other providers will be ending throughout the year, and those people might consider switching to AT&T for the iPhone rather than renewing their old contracts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read an article the other day where AT&T bought some bandwidth from another company that covers something like 1/3rd of the US. Speculation in the article was that this particular bandwidth could be used for wi-fi, and perhaps AT&T is prepping to roll out nationwide wi-fi service. If so, perhaps this could be a reason Apple is holding off on a 3G iPhone, besides the battery issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AT&T already has Wi-Fi hotspots in certain areas. I just saw one at a local Barnes & Noble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I'm thinking sales might increase once the SDK is released as it would now appeal to those who were hesitant before because of a lack of apps. Plus, it's only been a little over sevon months since the iPhone was released. A lot of people's contracts with other providers will be ending throughout the year, and those people might consider switching to AT&T for the iPhone rather than renewing their old contracts.

I read an article the other day where AT&T bought some bandwidth from another company that covers something like 1/3rd of the US. Speculation in the article was that this particular bandwidth could be used for wi-fi, and perhaps AT&T is prepping to roll out nationwide wi-fi service. If so, perhaps this could be a reason Apple is holding off on a 3G iPhone, besides the battery issue.

well there are several articles like this one:
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16335/
There are several rumors about an unannounced apple event.As always we can only speculate because none of us are working @ apple or for apple and if we were we could not hint around the new tech. to arise.....so we sit , wonder and wait for new gadgets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's a scary thought, as you know they will charge you for it. And judging by the way they are treating their broadband subscribers, I don't want any part of that!!

OP
A
Reaction score
well there are several articles like this one:
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16335/
There are several rumors about an unannounced apple event.As always we can only speculate because none of us are working @ apple or for apple and if we were we could not hint around the new tech. to arise.....so we sit , wonder and wait for new gadgets

Do you think that Apple would really release the 3G model at this supposed "unannounced" apple event, though? Wouldn't that just **** everyone off just like when they cut the price after it was out for 3 months?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As someone pointed out in another thread, we will know about the 3G iPhone long before it is released because it will have to go through the FCC. So Jobs will do the same thing he did before and announce it prior to sending it to the FCC. If he made the announcement tomorrow, you would still have 6 months to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Speaking of AT&T and wi-fi... I just read another article announcing AT&T is taking over wi-fi services at Starbucks. Starbucks customers get a couple hours free, paid after that; monthly contracts are available at $19.95 unlimited; and AT&T plans to eventually make the service available FOR FREE to their existing broadband and wireless customers.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-ap-starbucks-att,0,7749532.story

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.