iTunes: Registering more than 5 computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.4GHz; 200GB hard drive (7200 rpm); 2GB RAM
In the past 3 years I have gone through 3 computers and my partner has gone through 2, which means I have registered my 5 computers for iTunes.

I know I will need to register another one in the near future, but how do I get around this? Can I explain my situation to Apple or what?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In the past 3 years I have gone through 3 computers and my partner has gone through 2, which means I have registered my 5 computers for iTunes.

I know I will need to register another one in the near future, but how do I get around this? Can I explain my situation to Apple or what?

You de-authorize one of the older computers first. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You de-authorize one of the older computers first. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do.

OH NOOOO.... I already got rid of a computer before de-authorizing it. I really hope you're wrong - no offense intended.
Maybe it's like Microsoft - call up and reset the license?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Call Apple, they should be able to help you. After you explain the problem, they will clear it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I just recently did this but cannot find it again... I don't know if this is what you are looking to do but here is what I did...

Where I work, we need to share libraries... I needed to delete people who aren't at my workplace anymore. I went into the Itunes store and on the right handside ("quick links") I clicked on account and signed in. Somewhere in there was a option to clear ALL the users who had access to my itunes on their machines.... hence "5 registered machines"....

I can't find it right this second, but if you poke around you might be able to find it. I've heard rumors that you can only do this a limited number of times. I don't know if that's true or not.

Hope this wasn't a waste of your time!

EDIT: I just looked again and it's on the "account" page in the Itunes Store. In the 2nd box from the top.... at the bottom of it, it is says how many machines you are registered for. If it's 5 then it should have the option to reset it back to 0 (or 1 for the computer you are on at the time).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Can I just say that if you ring up apple I think they de-authorize all of the computers with that account and then you just simply authorize again. From the computers that you want.

Hope this helps

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thedspeth is correct but it's been so long since I ever did that I forget where it is, but it's in the iTunes Store and something to do with your settings. I will look again and see if I can find it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A little off topic, but I found iTunes recognizes your computer.
When I did a clean install of Leopard, I did not de-authorize my computer under Tiger. After getting Leopard installed and authorizing my MBP again, it apparently recognized it as the same computer, as it still only shows a single computer on my account.

OP
missdsml
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.4GHz; 200GB hard drive (7200 rpm); 2GB RAM
Thanks, I reset it and registered my MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It in your iTunes store account preferences. There's a button that will let you de-authorize everything and reset your account to 0. You'll need to re-authorize any computers you still want to have access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.