help with Mac systems

Reaction score
hi

I am new to this forum and new to Macs. I do not own a mac but I am seriously thinking of buying one. the only problem is, i do not know what to go for. I may be getting a Sony fx1 or a canon xh a1. not sure yet. but i need to get a mac to edit the HD videom from the camcorder. I have been looking around on what I can and can't upgrade myself from a mac system but all I have found yet is that I can add memory after purchase. I will be using this mac system for video editing and possibly photo editing aswell.

I am thinking of going with:

• One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 2GB (2x1GB)
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3
  • 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • Two 16x SuperDrives
  • iWork '08
  • Final Cut Express HD
  • Aperture 1.5
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
  • Apple Keyboard & Mac OS
  • Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
  • Five USB ports
  • Two FireWire 400 ports
  • Two FireWire 800 ports

total £2,350.99

what would I be able to upgrade after that and what won't I be able to?

can i buy this http://www.click2qnet.com/Info-100050375.aspx
rather than paying £960 more to get it done by apple?

I am very greatful for any advice

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
That sounds like a great machine but that looks much too powerful for what you're going to be doing, IMO the best deal is the mid-high range iMac, and on that you can upgrade the RAM, if you want to upgrade the HDD you will have to send it back to apple. I apologize if I have assumed incorrectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Oh and best of luck on your mac adventuring I am sure you will love one if you end up getting one =]!

OP
M
Reaction score
so what would a system like that be used for? sorry for the stupid questions but I do not know much about how much of a powerful computer hardware you need to do stuff.

what would you suggest I used for HD video editing?

2.4Ghz or 2.8Ghz?

thanks for your advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
That sounds like a great machine but that looks much too powerful for what you're going to be doing, IMO the best deal is the mid-high range iMac, and on that you can upgrade the RAM, if you want to upgrade the HDD you will have to send it back to apple. I apologize if I have assumed incorrectly.
Dude you serious? He's planning on HD video editing and you say iMac? I'd say go with the Mac Pro. Though the iMac has got enough of juice to do some small scale video editing, it's nowhere in comparison with the power of the Mac Pro, especially when it comes to HD and such. Get the iMac only if you can't afford the Mac Pro.

You can upgrade:
RAM (and you should, though only after market. Apple overcharges)
Hard drive
Graphics card (Not sure, I think it has to be bought from Apple only)

Reaction score
If you are going to be doing high def video editing, I say go with the 8core Mac Pro, upgrade to 8gb+ of ram from a third party and get one of the more expensive video cards, also, upgrade the Hard drives through a third party also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The Mac Pro is designed around video editing. I wouldn't suggest anything else for HD video work.
I would suggest the 8-core 2.8GHz with all the base features but an upgrade to the 8800 GT. The HD 2600 XT video card is pretty weak.
You can buy any SATA HD for the Pro. That RAM you linked to will not work though. That's for the previous generation Pro. You need PC6400 800MHz RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.