Upgrading...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
I was just having a thought about buying one of the current iPhones available atm, 8 or 16Gb, but was thinking i have held out this long, why not simply hold out for the *rumoured* 3G handset!

My problem is i think i have reached my end of patience and need to buy one now, so my question is...

if i did buy it now, could i upgrade to the new 3G handset when available, if i bought one too obviously... without having to start another 18month contract and have a second costing bill, while also keeping the same number?!

Cheers guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Usually when you buy a handset from AT&T for the subsidized price, you end up renewing the contract. But if you buy an unlocked phone or an AT&T branded one from somewhere like eBay, you can just pop in the SIM card from the other phone and your contract will be untouched.

When you buy a new iPhone, you either sign a new contract or renew your old one. The problem with the second version of the iPhone is that nobody really knows how it's going to work. It could work like I described above, or it could end up renewing your contract. One thing for sure is that it most likely won't be subsidized, which is why I'm leaning toward the SIM swap scenario.

OP
cknight88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
Thanks Kash, very informative. I'm not really feeling much love from Apple with all the constant updating, I know they're bottom line is to make money, and that tech is always being updated, but still they need to show love sometimes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You do not have to renew or sign up for a new contract to buy an iphone from AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
What do you do if you want to upgrade from your current 8GB to a new 16GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Do I have to switch sim cards or anything?

bkt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Black C2D 2GB, 8GB iPhone
I didn't have to renew my contract when I bought my iPhone as a replacement phone. It just took a few minutes plugged into iTunes and then it was done and working. AT&T took a few days to update the changes to my account, but that was about it.

With the Macbook combo, its easily the best phone I have ever owned. The call quality could be a little better, but that's my only complaint. I honestly rarely use the Internet on the phone for anything other than G-Mail, and when I do, I am almost always near an access point (even if I am not, EDGE isn't that slow). But then again, I do live a stone throw away from New York.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.