iBook G3 w/AirPort can't connect to existing AirPort Extreme network

Reaction score
Hey, all. I just acquired an iBook G3 (128MB RAM/500Mhz/OSX 10.2.8) from my sister in law and I'm trying to get it to use my existing AirPort Extreme network (which I use with my iBook G4). The G3 has an older (802.11b) AirPort card, but my base station is setup for b/g accessiblity. The network shows up in the AirPort menu; the problem is that when I try to connect with the base and it asks for a password, I get "There was an error joining the selected AirPort network."

If I try to hook up using AirPort Setup Assistant, I get an "incorrect password" error.

Any help at all would be great. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How do you have the Airport Extreme set up? What kind of Password? Are you using WEP, WPA? Makes a difference. If you are running WPA encryption, the older OS and Airport cards will only work with WEP. That might be the issue.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, they took it away from me before I could get it sorted. I had only enough time to drop in the extra RAM. Thanks for the help, though. I'll refer back if/when the iBook returns to my place.

Reaction score
OK I believe I am having the same issue, have you got your airport card joining the wireless net yet? I had both of these error messages and what I need to know is how do I tell what kind of incryption the router has on it ? I.e wep/wpa etc? Gut tells me it's wep encryption in which case I don't know what I need to do to get my ibook g3 10.2.8 to onto the wireless net

Please help!

Reaction score
solution

the airport extreme security can be set to WPA2 or WPA/WPA2. The former is active by default; using the airport utility change this setting to the latter and the G3 iBook will work with your network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.