Delay in in guitar recording on garage band

Reaction score
I'm using an Alesis USB 8 multimix to plug my guitar into my iMac and record into garage band. The thing is every time i record there is about a 0.5 (aprox) second delay between the time I hit a note on my guitar and the time the computer picks up the sound and plays it out of my monitors. Whats wrong here? Is my computer just running slow or is there some kind of set up issue that results in this delay. As you can imagine this makes it real difficult to record something in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a Roland MC 505 and I've been plugging it into the Alesis as well to record some patches here and there but the volume is way low on the MC 505 when plugged into the Alesis for recording even with the volumes all the way up on the mixer, Garage Band, and the 505. This piece of of equipment just to0 old to be used in cojunction with a mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.