Trying to upgrade OS 8.5 to 8.6

M

mikk_74

I am a real newb when it comes to macs and I am try to upgrade a Power Mac 5300/100 LC from 8.5 to 8.6. The Mac was given to me with on OS disk or any software. I can not get the update smi files to open. I under stand you have to use disk copy but it is a smi file as well. Claris tries to open them as text files. Even hqx files are done the same way. Is there any way of upgrading or am I going to have to find an os disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Try this…
Drag the smi file and drop it on top of disk copy. The Disk Copy icon should darken as you move the smi file over the top of it, that will let you know that Disk Copy sees the smi file as a file that it can try to open.

OP
B

Badger

An smi file is an archive so it won't work to drop an smi file on another smi file.
It sounds like File Exchange (or whatever it was called in OS 8.5) is routing everything to Clarisworks. You might try to reset file exchange (in the control panels, Apple menu). Also, check to see if Stuffit Expander is on the hard disk. If it is, drag the smi file onto SE. If it is not on your HD you will need a decompression utility that will install itself like Stuffit Expander. Go to www.pure-mac.com >utilities>compression.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.