New switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
Just a little background...I had been a Windows/PC user since the 80s when I purchased my first computer. I use the computer for work and play. I would build extreme PCs for gaming purposes. Well as I have aged, my game playing has been less and less. Also, as time has passed, I was getting more discouraged with the Windows/PC experience... You all know the story. So I started lurking Mac forum sites and doing some research. There is a Apple Store about 5 miles from where I live, so I started visiting and playing with the hardware.
I decided on the 20 inch 2.4 iMac with 1 GB of memory. Couldn't be happier. I does all I need it to do so far without all the hassle of a Windows machine (my wife has a Vista Laptop) ;P. I just purchased a 4GB upgrade kit because I do plan on doing some video editing.

Because of what I have read here and at other sites has helped with the decision to switch and transition to Mac. Another big help has been The Missing Manual series. I am looking forward to visiting here often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what a good story, was it Vista that swiched you ocer?

Welcome aboard and have fun with your mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy the Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
what a good story, was it Vista that swiched you ocer?

Welcome aboard and have fun with your mac

Vista was the kicker. She has quite a few annoying bugs right now. Mainly virus software that came with the computer is not fully Vista compatible :Oops: My XP Pro computer had a Virus program, 3 different spyware/adware programs and took forever to boot because of that. It ran fine once booted. Then there is the maintenance. It just seems to be spinning out of control on the Microsoft side.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Very familiar story of several of us around here. Think you'll like this place. There are some great folks around.

I have my last home built XP Pro machine sitting in the other room connected to a 26" widescreen monitor. And that machine is the most trouble free computer I think I had ever owned. That now includes my MBP. The monitor is about 9 or 10 months old now. Can assure you that monitor has a maximum of 20-25 hours total time on it. Have grown to really enjoy OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.