How much?

F

Fomer

Ok I am about ready to make my choice on my laptop, still waiting for someone to buy my Dell.

But, I really can't swing the extra for the Superdrive, nor do I need the superdrive. Except....

The meer 867 (somewhere around there) on the Basic and 1gig on the Super.

On my Dell I have 1.2 gigs. And this thing is too slow for me.

I hate to fork out all this money for the basic and it be slower than what I have now.

But like I said nothing else on there is of any use to me except the 1 gig, so could I buy later on an upgrade to 1 gig and if so how much is that going to cost? Generaly speaking.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
On Apple's laptops the only things you can add or change is the memory, replace the hard drive or the replace the optical drive.

You can not replace the processor chip or the graphics chip set. I don't know if you can change the whole mother board?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The best thing to do is buy the fastest processor you can afford.

OP
F

Fomer

Oh alright - Well... I have a Dell Demision 4400 it has 1.2 gigs, 2o gb (tech. 18... ripped me off) and 128 sd ram.

So even with the normal I will be getting 256 sd ram, and a 40 gb, my question is

I have never owned a mac before so is 1 gig Mac the same as 1 gig Windows.

It appears to me, unless mac is just behind. Because the best apple gives in notebooks is 1gig, most windows notebooks come with 2 gig now (i've seen some with 3!) So, would it be a fair statement to say. Apple's 1 gig is to Windows 2 gig? If so then I shouldn't notice any slowness since I only have 1.2 gig on my system now, is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Ah, well this is the common missconception, that 1ghz in a mac is even remotely relative to a 1ghz pc.
there was a chart a while ago (i actually have a one on my site.) FireStorm
That should be all cleared up.
And now with the new g5.. well PCs are all just that much furthar behind (even the super PCs, not just the consumer models) www.apple.com/g5 (im guessing on that link)

OP
F

Fomer

WOWZER's!

- I believe now that the 867 would be just as fast as my 1.2 if not faster!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, :D you've really gota look at more than the ghz.

OP
F

Fomer

I wish I could swing the additional 700$ but I can't and it'd be better to get a lesser mac, than not one at all. :)

By the way thanks for all your help. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime, enjoy your macintosh, you will love every minute of it.
(the more RAM you have the 'quicker' OSX will run)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.