Connecting Speakers to my G5?

P

Paul G

Hello there,

I'm about to buy a pair of speakers and an amp to connect to my G5. What I'd like to ask is what is the best way to ensure a good connection? Would it be with 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, as always,
Paul G

OP
N

nicholas

When you say amp, do you mean preamp/amp combo, or do you mean a receiver? Or are you talking about computer media speakers featuring a subwoofer and a built-in amp? Whatever the case, the best connection would be the optical/toslink connection. 3.5mm stereo plug is YOUR LAST RESORT, because that provides the lowest level of signal transfer.

OP
P

Paul G

nicholas said:
When you say amp, do you mean preamp/amp combo, or do you mean a receiver? Or are you talking about computer media speakers featuring a subwoofer and a built-in amp? Whatever the case, the best connection would be the optical/toslink connection. 3.5mm stereo plug is YOUR LAST RESORT, because that provides the lowest level of signal transfer.

Ok, I'm going for a receiver and will be using the optical digital audio connection.

Paul
G

OP
N

nicholas

Good. Almost every receiver in every price bracket on the market today features at least one optical/toslink connection. Good luck, let us know what you find.

OP
M

m1k

Just one thing:

If you're using a stereo jack or a minijack to connect anything (say, your speakers to your amp or whatever), make sure it's a gold-plated plug, you'll get the least interferance. Also, make sure it's from a good dealer like Monster Cable, like http://www.monstercable.com/computer/mac.asp#cables .

I know you're using an optical/toslink cable, but just in case you're connecting your speakers to your amp using a stereo jack/minijack, make sure it's gold-plated, it makes a WORLD of difference, and also make sure it's Monster Cable.

Good luck!

OP
P

Paul G

nicholas said:
Good. Almost every receiver in every price bracket on the market today features at least one optical/toslink connection. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Ok, I bought the Sony STR-DE495P AV Receiver and TDL Nucleus 2 Speakers from Richer Sounds . Got the Optical Digital connector there too and 10 meters of Gale XL315 Speaker Cable. The sound is really good and the benefit of the receiver is that in the future I can add to the speakers I already have to achieve surround sound. Might get Eye TV in the future - I never watch TV though :rolleyes: .

Just off subject here, I was in LA over Xmas and new year and spent a bit of time in Down Town LA taking pictures. I liked the Cadbury building and the new Disney building too. There are some in My Photos

Thanks for your help.

Paul

OP
N

nicholas

Yup, LA is the bomb.

Just one last pointer regarding your speaker wire. Terminate the ends, preferably with gold-plated banana plugs. They make insertion and removal a snap, and also prevent your speaker wire connections from oxidizing. Congrats on your purchase, and enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.