• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Online Guitar Lessons: Are they worth it?

Reaction score
Hello

Recently, I have been trying to self-teach myself guitar. I have played the piano since I was 8, so reading music is not a problem for me. Unfortunately, I do not have the time for conventional lessons. I am learning right now from a beginners book, but there is only so much I can glean from it.

I started to look into the "Online Schools" Jam Play and Next Level Guitar. At glance, both seem to have pros and cons (Next level is more my style of music, Jam play has waaaaay better quality videos)

I would like to know if anyone has used these services, or if there is another option.

I am a nutcase when it comes to technique, finger placement, ect and really just need a source of reference.

If it matters, I am focusing on the electric guitar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I played piano when I was 8, too.
I started playing guitar when I was 14.
That was 20 years ago.
I taught myself to play and never took a lesson for guitar. If you have played an instrument before, you won't need them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB ram, ATI HD2600 PRO, 320gb HDD
I taught myself mostly by random internet websites. It was my first instrument, I've been playing for about a year and a half. I recently found lessons by justin sandercoe and I really like them.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi there, I would recommend this place. http://www.guitarprinciples.com/
Her Principles Of Correct Guitar practice will stop you making all the mistakes you are probably making right now. And she also does webcam classes.
If you want to play the guitar really well, rather than just ok, then this is place to go.

Reaction score
I feel it's best to have one on one time with an actual person. If you don't have time to meet with an actual instructor, internet stuff (video) would be the next best thing. Being able to see how a technique is done makes learning so much easier.

When I was in college, I worked as an instructor at a guitar store. The biggest deficiency I saw in self-taught students was the inability to alternate pick. When you start learning scales, be sure to use proper picking! You will be smooth, fast and efficient. Obviously, those are traits that you want to have as a guitarist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.