Few questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
Just a few questions ive been struggling to find out after recently swapping from windows really pleased with my new mbp!

1. is there an alternative to windows disk clean-up and defrag on leopard?
2. struggling to set mail up to run with my hotmail account different programme i can use so i can send and recieve mail using that?
3. Any recommendations to keep it running smooth?

Thanks for everyones help recently!

M

MacHeadCase

1 - Apple has this to say about defragmenting: About disk optimization with Mac OS X. And OSXFAQ posts this on defragging:

Defragging:
It is not necessary to defragment a disc formatted in OS X (HFS+ or UFS filesystems). Assuming the disc is not 95% full, the filesystem is able to minimise fragmentation.

Panther automatically defragments frequently used files less than 20 Meg in size. The process is recorded in file '/.hotfiles.btree' (not human-readable).

3 - MainMenu from Santa Software.

Reaction score
as far as running it smooth, you don't have to worry too much about the 'system rot' you have in Windows, but it is necessary to always remove unwanted applications, movies, documents and old preference files. Defragmenting is not necessary in OS X. perhaps you should check the Hotmail docs to see there POP3 and SMTP information. You might not have POP3 enabled, if you don't, enable it in Hotmail then enter the server information in Mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.