90-day telephone technical support

Reaction score
I got an email recently with the title "Hurry. Your MacBook support ends soon." I thought it was one year complimentary service?

Further down the email, it says what the title says "90-day telephone technical support". Will I still have mail-in/store support for the remainder of the year? I just don't have enough money to purchase AppleCare right now and I was banking on having a full year!

Let me know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
90 day phone support and everything else is 1 year. You are able to purchase Applecare anytime before the 1 year warranty ends.

The phone support people don't know much so you're not missing much once the phone support ends.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah okay thanks!

Probably just a sneaky ploy to get us to buy AppleCare sooner!

Thanks for the information!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
if you can swing it i think its worth it i have had my macbook pro for a year
and a half and since 10.5.1 i have had to use phone support twice and i still
have one and a half years left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
If you do not buy Apple Care then you can still ring them up about hardware issues any time within the 1st year. The 90 day support that is running out is for software support. So you can ring them up and ask how to do something in Leopard for example.

If you have a hardware fault then you can call them and they will go through a couple of things with you but if it turns out to be a software issue then they will bill you.

Apple Care is probably worth the piece of mind and I'm pretty sure the cover is worldwide for 3 years giving you even greater piece of mind if you wish to take it with you to say France for example. You can call them about software or hardware issues.

I've only called once and that was out of frustration with the service I was getting from one of their (Apple) approved partners, I called to ask about time scales for getting something done as it had taken the service partner almost 2 weeks to find a problem on my MacBook which they narrowed down to a hard drive fault and said it was going to take another week or something to get the drive from Holland. I wanted to know if Apple could fix it faster and the guy took some details from me and said that they'll fast track my replacement hard drive so that the service place gets it quicker - my macbook was ready a day or 2 later. The hold times before I got to speak to anyone was really long, but I was happy with the end result. At this time I didn't have Apple Care, I have since bought it!

Oh and check out ebay as you should be able to find Apple care for your product for less than the store price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
If you do not buy Apple Care then you can still ring them up about hardware issues any time within the 1st year. The 90 day support that is running out is for software support. So you can ring them up and ask how to do something in Leopard for example.

If you have a hardware fault then you can call them and they will go through a couple of things with you but if it turns out to be a software issue then they will bill you.

Apple Care is probably worth the piece of mind and I'm pretty sure the cover is worldwide for 3 years giving you even greater piece of mind if you wish to take it with you to say France for example. You can call them about software or hardware issues.

I've only called once and that was out of frustration with the service I was getting from one of their (Apple) approved partners, I called to ask about time scales for getting something done as it had taken the service partner almost 2 weeks to find a problem on my MacBook which they narrowed down to a hard drive fault and said it was going to take another week or something to get the drive from Holland. I wanted to know if Apple could fix it faster and the guy took some details from me and said that they'll fast track my replacement hard drive so that the service place gets it quicker - my macbook was ready a day or 2 later. The hold times before I got to speak to anyone was really long, but I was happy with the end result. At this time I didn't have Apple Care, I have since bought it!

Oh and check out ebay as you should be able to find Apple care for your product for less than the store price.

ive been told direct from apple that once the 90day phone support runs out, HARDWARE is not discussed on the phone, it has to goto an apple store.

I have yet to buy apple care on any mac, because i usually keep a computer about 10months, and sell on ebay.

Reaction score
yes i've had the same response from apple they really dont want to talk to you once the 90 days runs out. they also require you credit card details so that if it a software issue they charge €45 if they solve the problem.
with regard to the 1 year warranty you must bring it into the apple store/ dealer to get it checked out. if it faulty apple will then foot the bill.

since i live in ireland and the nearest apple store is london and dealer is 70 miles away i got applecare. purchased from ebay for €48 so it was a no brainer saved €152.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.