airport in college?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
I got used to having wireless at home but in my dorm we don't have wireless internet. I mean I have a long ethernet cord but it's still not the same. If I were to buy an airport base station (i believe it is $99) would that be sufficient. Like the whole college network stuff would still be fine going wirelessly? Also is there a way to make it so nobody else can access the network besides me, just for security purposes and stuff. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
if I remember correctly you need to register the MAC address with the OIT dept here at maryland for the residential ethernet. I'm sure it is possible, a guy that lives in my buddy's building in the university courtyards has wireless set up which my friend leeches off of. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to check with the IT department of the school to make sure you are allowed to first.

A few people got their network privileges removed at our school for setting up a personal wireless network

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.